Dr. Rosemarie Lamirez, DOH-6 medicalcoordinator, said the DOH-CHD continues to provide all provinces with supplyand logistics for the prevention of dengue. Dr. Jessie Glenn Alonsabe, head of theRegional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, meanwhile, said the region stillcould not lift the dengue outbreak status. Attack rate refers to the proportion ofpeople who contracted the disease vis-a-vis the total population of an area. Noting that the rainy season cancontribute to the spread of the disease, Lamirez reminded not only the peopleof Guimaras, but the entire Western Visayas to “remain vigilant.” The province posted 53 new cases for the36th morbidity week, bringing the total to 1,977 dengue cases with fourdeaths. Cabano village in San Lorenzo town andPoblacion village in Jordan town, all in Guimaras, were also included in thetop 20 villages with clustering of cases in Western Visayas. ILOILO City – The island-province of Guimaras has the highest attack rateamong provinces and highly urbanized cities in Western Visayas, an official ofthe Department of Health – Center for Health Development (DOH-CHD) Region 6said on Monday. “Guimaras has the highest attack rateand the highest increase of dengue cases,” Denila said in a press conference atthe DOH-CHD 6’s office in Mandurriao district. “We have to wait for the (directive) ofthe secretary of health,” he said. For the 36th morbidity week, WesternVisayas recorded a total of 46,681 dengue cases with 204 deaths. Josef Alexander Denila, senior healthprogram officer of DOH-CHD 6, cited their data that Guimaras province had a 1,075 percent dengue attack rate on the 36th morbidity week or from Jan. 1 toSept. 7. “Maybe we need more of the commitment ofthe residents, coordination of the community because in the region and in theprovince, it all boils down to the participation of everyone,” she said. Aside from Guimaras’ denguereport, Aklan recorded 4,975 cases with 20 deaths; Antique has 2,198 caseswith 10 deaths; Capiz has 5,715 cases with 23 deaths; Iloilo has 19,005 caseswith 70 deaths; Iloilo City has 2,720 cases with 16 deaths; Negros Occidentalhas 7,963 cases with 52 deaths; and Bacolod City has 1,873 cases with eightdeaths; while there are 255 cases and one death not indicated in which town orcity. (With areport from PNA/PN)
“Nagkausap po kami ni Pang. Duterte at plano niya pagka-balik niya mula sa biyahe niya sa Russia, ay ilalabas na po ’yung ninja cops. May mga pinapasilip lang po siya,” Go said. Senator Christopher “Bong” Go said in an interview over the weekend that the President is just making last minute checks on the list that was provided by the Senate before making it public. According to Senate Blue Ribboncommittee chair Richard Gordon, Magalong is set to reveal the names of therogue officers he already bared in an executive session at the Senate lastweek. The Senate last week has agreed to release the name of the so-called “ninja cops,” who were revealed by former Criminal Investigation and Detection Group chief Benjamin Magalong in an executive session. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte will reveal the names of ‘ninja cops’ or those police officials involved in the recycling of seized illegal drugs upon returning from his Russia trip. President Rodrigo Duterte. PCOO Magalong and other police officerslinked to the controversy are set to face a Senate hearing Tuesday./PN
SEOUL – A boar with African swinefever (ASF) was found dead in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) that separates twoKoreas on Thursday. Over 10,000 pigs died or culled in theSouth since ASF was discovered while more than six-million pigs have beenculled across Asia.(BBC) The virus was discovered in SouthKorea recently, with possible entry through pigs crossing the heavily-guardedDMZ. North Korea first recorded African swine fever (ASF) in May, and the South created border fences to keep it out. Over six-million pigs have been culled across Asia since the ASF was discovered. EPA Despite its name, the DMZ is one ofthe world’s most fortified places. It is a 4 km-wide (2.5 miles) strip ofland, laden with landmines – a buffer zone between North and South Korea. North Korea first recorded ASF in May,and the South created border fences to keep it out.
Around 35,000 people participated inthe march in Paris, police said. PARIS – Tens of thousands of peopletook to the streets in this capital and other French cities on Saturday toprotest against domestic violence, after over 130 women were believed to havebeen killed by their partner or ex-partner in France this year. The #NousToutes association, whichorganized the protests, estimated the turnout much higher around 100,000 inParis and 150,000 across France. The demonstrations took place two daysbefore the government is due to publish the results of an investigation intodomestic violence. Demonstrators carry signs to protest “femicide” and violence against women in Paris, France on Nov. 23. REUTERS/CHRISTIAN HARTMANN Other marches took place in Frenchcities such as Lyon, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, and Lille.(Reuters)
BACOLOD City – Two individuals in NegrosOccidental are now considered as patients under investigation (PUIs) forsuspected infection of the novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease or2019-nCoV ARD, the City of Health Office (CHO) revealed. CHO Environment and Sanitation Divisionhead Grace Tan said they are closely monitoring the two PUIs admittedfor isolation at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Regional Hospital pending theresult of their laboratory test from the Research Institute for TropicalMedicine. Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson meanwhilecalled on the public to be calm and continue their normal routine. She appealed to the public do notwithhold information if they have history of travel in China, Macau, Hongkong, Taiwanand any neighboring countries. Lacson emphasized that there is noconfirmed case yet of the virus in the province, only the two reported PUIs,who were in quarantine. The two are separated cases, Tan said. She said one of the PUIs was a43-year-old male Canadian national married to a Filipina and has traveled fromTaiwan. The other one is a 12-year-old boy, who has traveled from Macau,Hongkong. According to the World HealthOrganization, the 2019-nCoV has spread globally, affecting 22 places outside ofmainland China. SARS is caused by SARS coronavirus,which is of the same family of viruses as 2019-nCoV. (With WHO/PN) The cases in China exceeded the numberinfected by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2002 and 2003, but SARShas a higher mortality rate so far. Tan clarified that the two PUIs are notresidents of this city.
An American passenger gives reporters the thumbs up while arriving with others at Haneda Airport in Tokyo for a flight home, where they will face further quarantine after already being locked down on the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Yokohama, Japan. AFP More than 70,500 have beeninfected across China by the COVID-19 virus as the world battles to contain theoutbreak that has sparked panic buying and jitters over the global economic impact. Outside China, the biggestcluster of infections is on the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Yokohama,where coronavirus cases have climbed quickly to 355 despite passengers beingconfined to their cabins during a 14-day quarantine. (AFP) TOKYO – The United Statesflew home its citizens from a coronavirus-infected cruise ship in Japan Monday,with other nations preparing to follow suit as global concerns grow over thespread of the disease and the death toll at its Chinese epicentre topped 1,700.
The 32-year-old resident Geofrey Marianowas caught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 7 p.m. on Feb. 16, apolice report showed. The court recommended a P72,000 bail bondfor Mariano’s temporary liberty./PN The suspect was detained in the lockupfacility of the San Miguel police station. ILOILO City – Police nabbed a mancharged with domestic violence in Barangay Consolacion, San Miguel, Iloilo.
It also had a special reminder to domestic passengers: “Please check with the local government offices of both your origin point and your final destination on travel requirements, such as mandated documents or health certifications. These requirements differ from province to province, and are revised and updated constantly in line with the anti-COVID-19 arrangements of each locality.” The governor clarified he would be allowing more outbound flights should other airlines offer them but only for locally stranded individuals, overseas workers and those who work in Metro Manila. Inbound and outbound regular commercial flights for leisure purposes are not yet allowed, said Defensor. * Manila – Caticlan (Boracay) – Manila (PR 2041/ 2042 every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday effective June 22) It, however, had this notice: “Please note that we may have to cancel flights, add frequencies or adjust our planned schedules, based on evolving entry restrictions and requirements set by concerned local government units (LGUs). PAL coordinates closely with all LGUs and the aviation authorities, and we will comply with their approvals and conditions, as we all work together to promote and protect public health during these critical times.” In a recent interview, Parreño said he was unsure when would commercial flights resume at the Iloilo Airport. Yesterday, Defensor said there was a scheduled PAL outbound flight this Wednesday morning. Meanwhile, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines-Iloilo (CAAP-Iloilo) terminal supervisor Art Parreño said yesterday they applied for up to June 30 extension of the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) with their cental office, citing the extension of the modified general community quarantine in Iloilo. A check on its website yesterday showed PAL issuing a domestic travel advisory for Iloilo; it announced Manila-Iloilo-Manila flights (PR 2141/2142) daily effective June 16. Iloilo province and the rest of Western Visayas remain under a modified general community quarantine until the end of this month unless extended further or lifted earlier. ILOILO – Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. has approved outbound flights to Manila from the Iloilo Airport but only for locally stranded individuals, employees who have work in Metro Manila and overseas workers who have scheduled flights back to their employment abroad. The initial outbound flights approved were those of the Philippine Airlines (PAL). Defensor said air passengers must have “complete documents” including a travel authority from the Philippine National Police and certification that they were able to complete 14 days of quarantine and didn’t have symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) such as fever and cough, among others. PAL further listed the following flights in Western Visayas: * Manila – Roxas – Manila (PR 2203 / 2204 every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday effective June 23) “We plan to increase the number of routes and flights in the coming weeks and months, if allowed by aviation authorities, global public health conditions and the travel environment,” according to the PAL advisory. “Asta nga may restrictions kita, indi kasulod sa Iloilo except returning overseas workers and locally stranded individuals,” stressed Defensor. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the Iloilo Airport served around 25 arrival and departure flights daily, said Parreño. * Manila – Kalibo – Manila (PR 2969 / 2970 every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday effective June 22) Commercial flights to and from Iloilo were suspended in March this year when the community quarantine was enforced to curb the spread of COVID-19. * Manila – Bacolod – Manila (PR 2131 / 2132 – June 16 and 17) Classified as an international airport, the Iloilo Airport is the first airport in both Western Visayas and the island of Panay to be built to international standards. It is also considered to be the primary gateway into the region./PN
Areas that are under GCQ until July 15 are Metro Manila; the provinces of Benguet, Cavite, Rizal, Leyte and Southern Leyte; and the cities of Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue, and Ormoc./PN MANILA – The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of the Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID) has eased further the restrictions on religious activities in general community quarantine (GCQ) areas. Earlier, the government said areas under modified general community quarantine can hold religious gatherings up to a maximum of 50% of the worship venue capacity. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said yesterday that religious gatherings involving 10 people or up to 10% of the venue capacity will be allowed beginning July 10. “Magkakaroon po muna tayo ng dry run ng 10% nitong darating na mga linggo pero ‘yung 10% po na allowed na ang lahat ay magsisimula po ‘yan ng July 10,” Roque said during the Laging Handa virtual press briefing. Roque added that religious gatherings must be limited to the conduct of religious worship and service and public health standards such as physical distancing, wearing of face masks and hand hygiene must be followed.
These new cases consisted of 54 from Negros Occidental, 36 from Iloilo, 18 from Bacolod City, 13 from Iloilo City, and seven from Capiz. Broken down per province, 28 of the medical frontliners were from Iloilo City, 27 from Bacolod City, 23 from Iloilo province, 10 from Negros Occidental, two from Aklan, one each from Antique and Capiz while zero from Guimaras. “Some of them (were infected) in line with their medical profession but some of them na-infect either sa ila community or from their travels,” said Reyes. As of Aug. 3, Western Visayas has 1,547 cumulative COVID-19 cases after the DOH reported 129 additions. ILOILO CITY – There are now a total of 162 medical and non-medical frontliners in Western Visayas infected with the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), data from the Department of Health (DOH) showed. Seventy cases, meanwhile, were non-medical frontliners like policemen, military, ambulance drivers, auxiliary aides, hospital encoders, and administrative staff, among others. Reyes said 36 or 39 percent of the total number of medical frontliners infected were nurses followed by doctors with 31 or 34 percent; medical technologists, eight; midwives, six; radio technologists, four; nursing aides, three; sanitary inspector, one; physical therapist, one; and two were unspecified. Of the 162 infections, 92 were healthcare workers – mostly doctors and nurses, according to Dr. Renilyn Reyes, DOH-6 spokesperson. The total active cases in the region now stand at 788 while recoveries are at 738 including the 32 new recoveries reported yesterday. DOH’s regional office also recorded one additional death, a 38-year old male from Negros Occidental, bringing the total death toll to 21./PN