Pirates’ prospect Gaffney’s return to Stanford exceeds expectations

first_imgStanford running back Tyler Gaffney (25) on the sidelines against California during the second half in an NCAA college football game in Stanford, Calif., Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)STANFORD, Calif. (AP) — Tyler Gaffney attended last year’s Pac-12 championship game as a fan, milling around the sidelines at Stanford Stadium before kickoff and spending the rest of the night in the stands.This time he’ll be the featured attraction.After playing baseball in the minor leagues last year, Gaffney’s remarkable return to football is one of the biggest reasons seventh-ranked Stanford (10-2, 7-2 Pac-12) has a chance for consecutive Rose Bowl berths. He has run for 1,485 yards and 17 touchdowns entering Saturday night’s showdown at No. 11 Arizona State (10-2, 8-1), turning in one consistent performance after another, which will likely land him in a different draft next.“He’s put on film that he’s a potential high-round pick in the NFL, because that’s how NFL backs run,” Stanford coach David Shaw said Monday. “He’s done it every game. He’s caught the ball out of the backfield. He’s pass protected. He’s come back and shown that he’s a complete back. I’m excited for him. This is maybe even more than what he envisioned coming back for.”Shaw began fall practices talking about how he planned to replace Stanford’s career rushing leader, Stepfan Taylor, with a rotation of up to six running backs.“An embarrassment of riches,” Shaw called them.Instead, Gaffney emerged as the featured running back because he seemed to always find the right holes — or plow them. He has quietly moved just 386 yards away from Toby Gerhart’s celebrated school record of 1,871 yards rushing in 2009, when he was the Heisman Trophy runner-up to Alabama’s Mark Ingram.Gerhart needed only 13 games to set that mark. Gaffney will get 14 because of the Pac-12 title game. And with everything he has accomplished this season, Gaffney will get to make a major life decision for the second time in a year: go back to baseball, or head to the NFL? In all likelihood, it will be the latter.“I would love to play in the NFL,” Gaffney said. “That’s an opportunity that doesn’t knock on many people’s doors.”In his first three seasons at Stanford, Gaffney ran for 791 yards and 12 touchdowns on 156 carries. He also caught 17 passes for 187 yards and three TDs as Taylor’s primary backup.The Pittsburgh Pirates drafted Gaffney in the 24th round as an outfielder, and he said he couldn’t turn down a chance to play professional baseball. He had a solid season with the Class-A State College Spikes, batting .297 with a .483 on-base percentage.Gaffney got the urge to resume his football career after watching his Cardinal teammates win the Pac-12 title and the Rose Bowl last season. He also wanted to finish his degree — doubling-majoring in sociology and psychology — and chase his own championship, the two things missing from his Stanford resume.Now he has a chance to fulfill both.“Speaking for myself, this is awesome,” Gaffney said. “I’ve never been to the Rose Bowl. I was a fan, I watched and it looked like an incredible place to play. I know what’s going on around now, so I think from both perspectives. I can appreciate the game and what goes into it. There was the big food and everybody was hanging out. I’ve never seen so many Stanford fans. They were coming out of the woodworks. To be a part of that, not to speak ahead, but I would love to be a part of that.”The recent success of former Stanford running backs such as a Gerhart (Minnesota Vikings), Taylor (Arizona Cardinals) and Jeremy Stewart (Oakland Raiders) should also bode well for Gaffney’s NFL future.Stanford runs a pro-style system predicated on power and patience. And other than Gerhart, perhaps nobody has perfected those qualities more than Gaffney on The Farm.Gaffney has averaged 23.6 carries per game, which has increased steadily all season. His most memorable performance came in the victory over Oregon on Nov. 7, when he ran for 157 yards and set a school record with 45 carries.“The crazy part is how many carries he can do,” said Stanford linebacker Blake Martinez, a former running back. “I just think back to high school, at the end of the game or on Saturday when we watched film, I’d say, ‘Hey, coach, how many carries did I get?’ He’d say, ‘Around 15.’ I’d say, ‘Are you kidding me? I feel like I’ve been doing about 50.’ And just thinking of him actually doing around 50 carries is remarkable.”In a perfect world, Gaffney has always said, he would play both football and baseball professionally. But he realizes that’s unlikely, so he’s put all his effort into whatever sport he’s playing at the time.Gaffney said he parted on good terms with the Pirates, and the organization would welcome him back. And while he’s not ready to declare for the NFL draft just yet, those around Gaffney believe it’s his best option after the season.“I’ve seen him play baseball for a couple years. I know he’s good. He’s got a lot of tools. He’s an outstanding hitter, he’s a great baserunner. I think he’s a really good fielder. But I think he’s an NFL back,” Shaw said. “I don’t know where he’ll get drafted, but it’s going to be in the first couple rounds.”___Antonio Gonzalez can be reached at: www.twitter.com/agonzalezAPlast_img read more

MOTORISTS INJURED AND CARS BURNT OUT IN HORRIFIC ROAD ACCIDENT

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: A number of people have been hurt and three vehicles burned out in an horrific road traffic accident in Donegal this afternoon.The incident happened on the Clar Road, Donegal Town.Fire crews and ambulances rushed to the scene of the crash. “A number of people have been injured and have been taken to hospital,” said a Garda spokesman.It’s understood none of the injuries are life threatening.However people who saw the aftermath of the crash described it as ‘horrific’.“It’s a miracle no-one was killed. The vehicles caught fire. The emergency services were on the scene very quickly,” said one motorist. There are long tailbacks in the area as Gardaí investigate the cause of the collision and fires.  MOTORISTS INJURED AND CARS BURNT OUT IN HORRIFIC ROAD ACCIDENT was last modified: September 15th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:accidentcarsCLARDonegal TownfireGardailast_img read more

Tories promise to spend millions on the creation of medical centre for

first_imgHALIFAX – Progressive Conservative Leader Jamie Baillie is promising to spend $1.75 million a year on a unique medical centre for veterans that would be led by former military members.Baillie says the clinic would be set up in the Camp Hill Veterans’ Memorial Building in Halifax and provide physical and mental health care on a 24-hour basis.The facility would be staffed by veterans and others, as well as so-called veteran navigators who would meet patients and help identify the kind of care they need.Veteran Rollie Lawless says he knows of many veterans with complex medical needs like himself who stay in their homes and avoid getting medical care because of apprehensions about hospital ERs.He says the centre would also include quiet areas for veterans, who may be in crisis, to talk to their peers.Lawless, who was released from the military in 2002, says the centre would provide a healthier alternative to many vets with post-traumatic stress disorder, who can be triggered by the loud sounds and busy pace at conventional emergency rooms.“The emergency rooms present every trigger that could possibly trigger a person with an operational stress injury, whether it’s screaming children, whether it’s bloody hands, bloody feet, it’s there,” he said. “Why would they go? If I’m going in to get my wrist looked at the last thing I want is for my head to be injured.”last_img read more

Democrats and Republicans split over social media content moderation

first_img Politics Tech Industry Twitter and Facebook applications are seen grouped in a Social Media folder on an iPhone.  Photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images Social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter can’t please everyone when they decide what content to leave up or pull down. It turns out, Democrats and Republicans don’t always see eye to eye on content moderation. screen-shot-2019-06-18-at-2-27-16-pm Pew Research Center A study released by the Pew Research Center on Wednesday showed that about 77 percent of Democrats think social media companies “have a responsibility to remove offensive content from their platforms.” By comparison, about 52 percent of Republicans had the same view.The findings illustrate some of the challenges social media companies are facing as they try to improve how they police content on their sites. Facebook, for example, is creating an independent board that will handle appeals for content decisions. Social networks have faced allegations that they’re censoring conservative speech, which the companies have repeatedly denied. At the same time, they’re also under pressure to do more to combat hate speech, violence and other content that violates their rules. More recently, Facebook faced criticism after the company decided to not remove a doctored video of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that made it seem like the California Democrat was slurring her words. Instead, the company displayed related articles from fact-checkers debunking the video. Overall, 66 percent of Americans say social media companies have a responsibility to pull down offensive content. But only 31 percent of Americans have at least a fair amount of confidence in social media companies to decide what content to pull down. A higher percentage of women, African-Americans and older adults also think social media companies have a responsibility to remove offensive content. The Pew Research Center surveyed more than 10,000 US adults between April 29 and May 13. The survey doesn’t define what’s considered offensive content and most people don’t agree what’s considered racist and sexist language, the study showed.  null Share your voice Tags 0 Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Suu Kyis effigy burnt in Jessore

Suu Kyis effigy burnt in Jessore

first_imgAung San Suu Kyi. Photo: AFPAgitators on Monday burnt a 30-foot high effigy of Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi for carrying out genocide on Rohingya Muslims in Rakhine.The effigy was burnt after a human chain at Jessore New Town Degree College ground under the banner of Citizens of Jessore around 11:00am.Mobinul Islam Mobin, SM Yeakub Ali, senior journalist M.A.Mannan Mia and Tauhid Zaman, spoke during the human chain.The speakers told that the world should come up with protest against the genocide in Myanmar against Rohingya Muslims.’Rohingya persecution must be stopped at any cost,’ they added.last_img

To the MAX Sunwing Airlines takes delivery of the first of four

To the MAX Sunwing Airlines takes delivery of the first of four

first_img Share Tags: boeing, Seattle, Sunwing << Previous PostNext Post >> Posted by Travelweek Group center_img SEATTLE — Sunwing Airlines executives flew to Seattle and back to take delivery of the carrier’s newest plane, and Travelweek was along for the ride.Sunwing, which has become North America’s largest vertically integrated travel company, took delivery of its first Boeing 737 MAX 8 on May 25. The aircraft is the latest model in Boeing’s 737 series.The new model features 12 more seats, 8% less fuel emissions and 8% lower operating costs per seat than its nearest competitor, the A320neo.The aircraft is the first of four new B737 MAX 8 aircraft and two B737-300 aircraft acquired by Sunwing Airlines in accordance with its most recent agreement with Boeing and Air Lease Corporation.The second 737 MAX 8 aircraft will be delivered this week with the balance to be delivered in 2019.Sunwing Airlines President Mark Williams said the 737 MAX “is an integral part of Sunwing’s overall expansion plans across an increasing number of both Canadian and U.S. gateways and illustrates the evolution of the company.”“Sunwing may have increased in scale, however what drove the company in the early 2000s is still central to our business today – in particular, the airline’s commitment to its passengers that when they travel with Sunwing, they travel with an award-winning airline and one of Canada’s most modern fleets,” he said.Brad McMullen, Boeing’s Vice-President, Sales for the Americas, added: “Sunwing already flies one of the youngest and most fuel-efficient fleets in Canada and now they take another leap forward with the Boeing 737 MAX, a new jet that can fly further, use less fuel, and provide greater passenger comfort.”More news:  Onex paying big to get WestJet and that will send airfares soaring, says CWTWilliams confirmed that the Boeing 737 MAX is 14% more fuel efficient than its existing fleet, noting that this added fuel efficiency is “transformational” for the company because it gives this aircraft an additional range of 500 nautical miles compared to its existing fleet.This allows Sunwing Airlines to comfortably operate full flights from Vancouver to the East Caribbean at full capacity rather than leaving empty seats so as to conserve fuel, effectively adding at least 14 seats to each flight.In fact the plan is to operate these aircraft out of Vancouver this fall after an initial break-in period over the summer operating out of Toronto.The new 737 MAX features the latest aircraft technology offered by Boeing and will allow Sunwing to offer reliable, cost effective and environment friendly service, say the companies. The aircraft not only uses less fuel but it also reduces CO2 emissions by 20% compared to the older aircraft it’s replacing.Part of Boeing’s newest family of single-aisle airplanes, the 737 MAX 8 – with more than 4,500 orders from nearly 100 customers worldwide – is already the fastest-selling airplane in Boeing history.The aircraft has 189 seats, all featuring a new seat tip which creates the perception that the passenger has 2” more room.More news:  Sunwing offers ultimate package deal ahead of YXU flights to SNU, PUJA first for Sunwing, each seat has a USB port which allows passengers to charge and use their personal devices during the entire flight. This follows the emerging trend to allow passengers to use their own content during the flight.Sunwing’s 737 MAX will feature 24 Elite Plus seats allowing 3” – 6” of extra room at a premium charge.The aircraft is also significantly quieter, by about 40%, than earlier 737 models which Boeing says may reduce passenger flight fatigue.The 737 MAX is also equipped with LED lighting throughout, including landing lights, adding to energy efficiency, reliability, reduced heat and passenger comfort.The inaugural flight back from Seattle was piloted by Ron Henry, one of Sunwing’s first pilots who has been flying for Sunwing since 2005, along with First Officer Jessalyn Teed, a recent recruit to the flight crew and a graduate of Sunwing’s cadet program, operated in partnership with the University of Waterloo.Sunwing offers direct service from over 33 gateways across Canada to more than 45 sun destinations. The company’s inflight service features a complimentary glass or sparkling wine, tea, coffee and non-alcoholic beverages with a buy-on-board menu inspired by Celebrity Chef, Lynn Crawford. An added bonus is a complimentary 23 kg checked luggage allowance. For more information visit sunwing.ca. To the MAX: Sunwing Airlines takes delivery of the first of four new B737 MAX 8s Monday, May 28, 2018 last_img read more