Proposed Bill Gives Tax Deduction To First Responders

first_imgStock image by Justin Gould/WNYNewsNow.ALBANY – New legislation was introduced in New York to thank first responders for their work on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic.The proposed bill, which comes one day before the traditional deadline for filing taxes, would create a tax deduction of up to $5,000 for medical professionals, certified first responders, and EMTs for personal protective equipment and travel expenses related to the pandemic.Once passed, the bill would apply to the 2020 taxable year. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img

U.S. Mine Workers Rally for Pension Payments

first_imgU.S. Mine Workers Rally for Pension Payments FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享From the Associated Press:Thousands of retired coal miners rallied Tuesday in Kentucky to call on Congress to protect their benefits as the industry struggles and operators seek bankruptcy protection from debts.United Mine Workers president Cecil Roberts told the gathering in Lexington of about 4,000 members from seven states that miners spent their lives working in dangerous places to provide the nation’s electricity and steel. The miners, some of whom arrived in wheelchairs, don’t deserve having their benefits put in jeopardy, Roberts said.“What do they want these people to do, get out of their wheelchairs and go back to the mines?” Roberts remarked after the rally.Roberts, who is popular among the union membership for his fiery oratorical style, told the crowd, “America owes us, and we will collect on that debt.”He added, “You want to know what the problem is? Millionaires and billionaires cannot stand the thought that a coal miner has health care as good as they have.”The union said about 22,000 retired union miners would lose health care benefits if federal legislation they are touting isn’t enacted this year. Those miners’ benefits are at risk because they worked for companies, including Patriot Coal and Arch Coal, that declared bankruptcy in recent years.The bankruptcies and a depressed U.S. coal market have decreased contributions to the pension fund by two-thirds from last year’s levels, according to the union. The union is also reeling, especially in Kentucky, which no longer has any mines that employ members of the United Mine Workers.Currently about 89,000 union members or widows are receiving a pension, according to the union.With benefits at risk, coal miner union rallies in Kentuckylast_img read more

Lawrence, Massapequa School Threats Probed

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Terrorist threats prompted evacuations at two Long Island schools and New York City police received more than 130 reports of suspicious packages Tuesday, the day after the deadly Boston Marathon bombings.Nassau County police arrested a 16-year-old boy who posted a threat on his Facebook page to blow up Mesivta Ateres Yaakov School on Washington Avenue in Lawrence.The threat was brought to the attention of the principal, who called 911. Police evacuated home on surrounding streets in addition to the school for two hours while the building was searched.The student, whose name was not released, will be arraigned Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead on charges of making a terrorist threat and harassment.While that case was being investigated, an office employee at Unqua Elementary School on Unqua Road in Massapequa received a call from a man who made a terroristic threat against the school, police said.Police searched the building during the evacuation and determined there were no explosives inside. That case remains under investigation.The incidents occurred the same day the NYPD investigated a spike in suspicious items, including loose overheard light wires that reportedly forced the brief partial evacuation of LaGuardia Airport.Detectives request anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS.  All callers will remain anonymous.last_img read more

NAFCU remembers Ken Robinson

first_imgKen Robinson, a retired Marine Corps major general who led NAFCU through a time of technological change and challenges to consumers’ choice to join credit unions, passed away this Monday. He was 86.Robinson retired from the Marine Corps in 1983 after 33 years of service. He joined NAFCU as its chief executive in 1984 also having served on the board of three credit unions and as a management consultant for NCUA. He remained in the NAFCU post until his retirement in 2000.As NAFCU’s top executive, Robinson led a period of growth for the association in staff, membership, technology and influence before Congress on issues important to credit unions. He played a leading role in creation of the Credit Union Campaign for Consumer Choice, whose aim was to reverse a loss in the courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, to banking trades over federal credit unions’ ability to serve multiple-group fields of membership.The Campaign was a joint effort among NAFCU, credit unions, other credit union organizations and consumer and employer groups across the U.S. Robinson provided leadership at every stage, including the industry’s efforts to secure lawmakers’ support for legislation codifying multiple-group chartering. The Credit Union Membership Access Act, drafted to do just that, was passed by the Senate and House in the summer of 1998 and signed by President Clinton Aug. 7. continue reading » 5SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Binghamton mayor launches ‘social host’ ordinance to reduce underage drinking

first_imgThe laws will apply to homes, apartments, yards, opening spaces and places where people can gather, the city says. Anyone found in violation of the ordinance can face a fine of $1,000 or be jailed for 15 days. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The city of Binghamton has launched a new ordinance to curb high-risk underage drinking in conjunction with the Binghamton University Community Coalition.center_img The “Social Host” ordinance enacts penalties for hosts of social gatherings where alcohol or drugs are being possessed, served to or consumed by a minor.last_img

Dubrovnik Hotel Belvedere opens its doors by 2020.

first_imgOn Monday, the Mayor of the City of Dubrovnik, Mato Franković, received representatives of the investor and designer of the Belvedere Hotel. Investor consultant Davor Štern and associates and designer Marko Dabrović from the 3LHD studio, as the author of the conceptual design, introduced the mayor to the course of the investment and the plan of activities of the Belvedere – Pure Luxury project.The Mayor said that the public debate on the unified procedure of Amendments to the Spatial Plan and the General Urban Plan of the City of Dubrovnik and repealing the Detailed Plan of Belvedere will be launched in July, which is a precondition for obtaining the necessary construction plans after the adoption of the Plan. permit.It should be reminded that the amendments to the spatial planning documentation were prepared in order to change the planning solutions in the part at the Belvedere location, with the aim of creating planning preconditions for the revitalization of the tourist content – the Belvedere hotel complex. Since the planning solution of the Belvedere DPU is no longer in line with the needs of further use and development of this area, the procedure of repealing the Belvedere DPU has been initiated.In complete contrast to the existing building, the new Belvedere is adorned with a significantly smaller number of accommodation units, and modern and spatially unobtrusive architecture. The demolition of the existing building is expected at the end of the year, and the completion of the construction of the new Belvedere is expected in 2020.last_img read more

Hungary COVID infections hit daily record as school year starts

first_imgHungary said on Wednesday it had registered 365 new COVID-19 infections, its highest daily tally on record, as people return from summer holidays and the school year starts up.Hungary, with around 10 million people, weathered the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic earlier this year with fewer infections than many European countries. The total number of cases, as of Wednesday, stood at 6,622, with 619 deaths.But even as most people with the disease have recovered, the number of active cases has risen over the past week or so from the hundreds to 2,100 on Wednesday, and experts have warned of a spike in infections in coming weeks as schools reopen. Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s government has closed borders to foreign visitors, though it has exempted citizens of three neighboring central European nations – the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia – from the ban, provided they test negative for the virus beforehand.The European Union, which insists on uniform rules for all EU citizens crossing internal borders, has said the move is discriminatory and therefore illegal.Hungary’s move to shut borders also prompted a review by European football association UEFA of plans to hold a Super Cup match in Budapest with spectators, the first such international game since the start of the pandemic, on Sept 24. Topics :last_img read more

Korea Okays Maersk’s Hamburg Süd Takeover, Orders Corrective Measures

first_imgThe Korean Free Trade Commission (KFTC) has given Maersk Line the green light for the acquisition of German counterpart Hamburg Süd.However, following the review, the regulatory authority has imposed corrective measures which will have to be met in order for the deal to be closed.These include an order for the withdrawal of Hamburg Süd’s ships from the vessel-sharing agreement currently in place on the Far East-central America/Carribean Trade Route.Maersk Line said that it had agreed to the corrective measures as part of the ongoing dialogue with KFTC.“Maersk Line commits to withdraw Hamburg Süd from a vessel sharing agreement currently active on the Far East Asia – Central America/Caribbean trade route. On the Far East Asia – West Coast of South America trade route, Maersk Line commits to not extend Hamburg Süd’s membership of a currently active vessel sharing agreement. Hamburg Süd will remain active on the abovementioned trade routes in the future. The committed changes will become effective after closing of the acquisition,” Maersk Line said in a statement to World Maritime News.Danish container carrier added that the regulatory approval process remains on track and that it expects to close the transaction on November 30, 2017.The approval from Korea follows that issued by China earlier this month, and the deal remains to be officially cleared in one more jurisdiction.Similar concessions were agreed with the Chinese regulatory body, including Maersk Line’s commitment not to extend Hamburg Süd’s membership of a vessel sharing agreement currently active on the Far East Asia – West Coast of South America trade route, and a commitment to terminate Hamburg Süd’s membership of a VSA on the Far East Asia – East Coast of South America trade route on the earliest date permitted.Maersk Line further agreed within five years of closing, not to enter into vessel sharing agreements with its main competitors.Danish container giant said it would acquire Hamburg Süd for USD 4.3 billion on a cash and debt-free basis, which it plans to fully finance through an already secured syndicated loan facility.Once the acquisition is completed, Maersk Line and Hamburg Süd will have a total container capacity of around 3.9 million TEU and an 18.7% global capacity share. The combined fleet will consist of 743 container vessels.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

Port of Gdansk Modernization Projects in Full Swing

first_imgImage source: Port of GdanskThe Port of Gdansk is working on a project that will modernize the long-neglected Dworzec Drzewny quay.In mid-December 2017, the port issued a call for tenders for the modernization of the quay. The bids submitted by eight entities have just been opened.According to the port authority, five consortia and three enterprises have submitted bids for the reconstruction of the Dworzec Drzewny quay, with all potential contractors declaring that the work will be completed within 96 weeks from the moment of signing the agreement.“Dworzec Drzewny is a quay which has remained out of use for many years. Due to years of neglect, it fell into ruin and lost all its transshipment capacity,” said Lukasz Greinke, President of the Board of the Port of Gdansk Authority.“We want to expand it, so that it can become vibrant with port life once again. We assume that it will be a universal quay. Currently, it has a steep sloped structure, which has to be changed. We also need to move the fender line,” added Lukasz Greinke.Future work on this quay will focus on the expansion of an area of about 1,220 meters. The selected contractor will perform demolition work, earthwork, dredging and bottom-reinforcing work, sanitary work, and road and railway work.“A new sheet pile retaining wall, new fender lines and berthing lines will be built. This will make it possible for the largest vessels able to enter the Inner Port – with draughts up to 10.6 m – to be handled at Dworzec Drzewny,” explained Marcin Osowski, Vice-President of the Board and Director of Infrastructure at the PGA.The Port of Gdansk also said that the modernization of the Dworzec Drzewny is one of the tasks in a project involving the conversion of the fairway. 85% of the funds for the project come from the resources of the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF).Thanks to the EU funds, work will also include the dredging of the fairway and the modernization of the Oliwskie, Obroncow Poczty Polskiej, and Mew Quays, as well as the Zbozowe Quay along with a part of the quay at the Wisloujscie Fortress. This means a total of 5 km of renovated infrastructure.Projects financed using CEF will be completed by the end of 2020. By that time, investments at the Port of Gdansk will reach the amount of $290 million.[mappress mapid=”24995″]last_img read more

University alters bathroom policy after two reports of voyeurism

first_imgAt least one gender-neutral washroom remains on each floor. Melinda Scott, the dean of students at University College, said some bathrooms in Whitney Hall have now been designated specifically for residents who identify as men or women. However, several gender-neutral bathrooms remain. “The purpose of this temporary measure is to provide a safe space for the women who have been directly impacted by the incidents of voyeurism and other students who may feel more comfortable in a single-gender washroom,” said Scott.http://thestar.com/#/article/news/crime/2015/10/05/university-of-toronto-alters-bathroom-policy-after-two-reports-of-voyeurism.htmlPolice seek serial Prince William Co. peeperWashington Top News 14 October 2015A peeping Tom used a mirror to get a look below a restroom stall this week, and Prince William County police say the details sound familiar.On Sunday, a 35-year-old woman told police that a man dressed as a woman stuck a mirror under her restroom stall at the Potomac Mills Mall. She had been with her 5-year-old daughter at the time.After a quick struggle, the man dressed in pink clothing ran away.In May, a voyeur using the same method tried to peer into a stall at the Walmart in Woodbridge, Virginia.“We want the citizens to be aware that there is someone lurking around who is doing these types of [things],” says Prince William County police spokesman Officer Steven R. Mattos.“The descriptions provided by our victims and from what we’ve concluded in our investigation, the individual is very similar in nature,” he says.The man is described as white or Hispanic, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and 220 pounds. He’s between 35 and 45 years old, police say.http://wtop.com/prince-william-county/2015/10/police-seeks-serial-prince-william-co-peeper/center_img University of Toronto alters bathroom policy after two reports of voyeurismThe Star 5 October 2015The University of Toronto has decreased the number of gender-neutral bathrooms in one of its colleges after two women became victims of voyeurism when they were filmed while showering.Toronto Police Const. Victor Kwong said Monday that two women in separate instances at the Whitney Hall residence reported that they saw a cellphone reach over the shower-stall dividers in an attempt to record them. Police have yet to find any information about the culprit, but the investigation is ongoing.last_img read more