Japan doctors warn heat could make 2020 Olympic marathon ‘deadly’

first_imgGretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew A group of Japanese doctors on Wednesday urged Olympic organizers to start the Tokyo 2020 marathon as early as 5:30am, saying failure to do so could “lead to deaths” from heatstroke.The warning is the latest in a chorus of concern about how extreme heat could affect several sporting events at the Olympic games, particularly after Tokyo sweltered through a record heatwave this year.ADVERTISEMENT The International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Tokyo 2020 organizers have acknowledged the concerns and already moved the marathon start time up 30 minutes to 7:00am, with competitive walking starting even earlier.But the Japan Medical Association and the Tokyo Medical Association said that was insufficient because most of the course would still be run in heat levels that were dangerous, and under which physical activity should be halted.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“We are seriously concerned about it,” Kimiyuki Nagashima, a senior official with the Japan Medical Association told reporters Wednesday.“If the risk of heatstroke is high for not only athletes but also staff members and the audience, there will be a rising demand for emergency services, which will have serious impact on medical institutions and regular patients.” #KickStalker: Jordan XXXIII hits Philippine shores The IOC has backed calls for Japan to adopt daylight savings during the Games to ease the heat situation, but there is little support among Japanese lawmakers or the public for the proposal, which is viewed as too disruptive.When Japan last hosted the Olympics, in 1964, the Games were held in October to avoid the country’s stifling summer humidity and heat.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The associations are calling for the start time to be moved to 5:30am, and the presidents of both groups met earlier this week with the head of the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee to press the issue.“We wouldn’t have visited the organizing committee if we’d thought it was only slightly worrying… we fear the current plan could lead to deaths,” Haruo Ozaki, president of the Tokyo Medical Association, told AFP.Heat stroke kills hundreds of people each year across Japan, and this year record temperatures caused a spike in fatalities and hospital visits.Masa Takaya, a spokesman for the 2020 organizers, said the doctors had presented “a serious opinion based on expert knowledge.”“We’ll share it with working groups of the IOC and IPC (International Paralympic Committee)” that are discussing issues of heat, he told AFP.ADVERTISEMENT Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? View comments Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taallast_img read more

Guyana bids farewell to Chilean Ambassador

first_imgGuyana bid farewell to its first Chilean Ambassador, Claudio Rachel Rojas on Thursday evening. Ambassador Rojas was lauded by several Government representatives for his work in Guyana. Among the officials attending the ceremony at the Cara Lodge Hotel, were Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo and Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenridge. Delivering brief remarks, Minister Greenridge noted that the historic opening of the Chilean Embassy in Guyana and the appointment of Ambassador Rojas in 2015 has yielded discernable results.“We have been able to have meetings at the presidential levels which have been marked by significant steps, significant improvement in the level of cooperation. His Excellency, Ambassador Rojas has mentioned some of these in areas that areForeign Affairs Minister Carl Greenridge shakes hands with outgoing Chilean Ambassador Claudio Rachel Rojasvery important to us ranging from language, telecoms, mining and so forth. So, I think we are especially pleased that the efforts and the energy that he has put into his assignment here have yielded such visible fruits and we are very pleased about that,” Minister Greenridge is quoted by the Department of Public Information as saying.Ambassador Rojas said it has been a wonderful experience for him serving in Guyana. He noted that both countries faced similar challenges, adding that the steps taken over the past three years were aimed at building stronger ties between the two countries.“We honour our cultural differences because we believe that in diversity there is richness but also we honour the fact that whatever we do in the field of foreign affairs, we do it for the good of our fellow citizens,” the outgoing Ambassador said.The Ambassador Rojas noted that since independence, Guyana remains one of the few countries in the Western hemisphere to have maintained a democratic system unlike Chile and other states that have experienced phases of military rule.Ambassador Rojas was also presented with a token of appreciation for his service.The Ambassador was the first resident diplomat from Chile since the country established formal relations with Guyana in 1971.last_img read more

Guyana gets US$8M to address overcrowding in prisons

first_imgRecent incidents within the prison system have given rise to the issue of overcrowding, something which the Guyana Government has been struggling to contain and address.However, the recent approval of US million in the form of a loan from the Inter-American Development Bank will give Government a head-start in the process.The Legal Affairs Ministry on Saturday said money has been secured for the “Support for the Criminal Justice System Project”, which became eligible for funding on June 16, 2017. The key objectives of the project are reducing the use of pre-trial detention and increasing the use of alternative sentencing.According to the statement, since the March 2016 unrest and fire at the Georgetown Prison, Government, through the Ministry of Legal Affairs, has been assiduously addressing the issue of overcrowding at the prisons.The project was scheduled for launch early last week, but had to be delayed due to the recent prison break and fire that destroyed the Camp Street facility.Nonetheless, the project workshop was held, and the key outputs discussed were establishing a Legal Aid pilot project which would provide legal assistance to persons in pre-trial detention who have been accused of having committed minor, non-violent offences; enhancing the DPP and Police Prosecutors’ capacities to handle their cases before they proceed to trial; building capacity enhancement at the Magistracy level, to expedite cases and address alternative sentencing.Additional components were: the implementation of a Restorative Justice pilot project under the Legal Affairs Ministry, to solve minor offences or disputes; strengthening the Probation Service Department to perform adequate follow up of treatments delivered in and after prison, so as to better tend to the rehabilitative needs of those who present a lesser risk of reoffending; and strengthening the Law Reform Commission at the Ministry of Legal Affairs in its role of drafting new legislation introducing non-custodial sanctions suitable for different types of offences.The Legal Affairs Ministry, Supreme Court of Judicature, Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Public Security, Social Protection, and Finance ministries are the main stakeholders of this project. Moreover, in being the executing agency, the Legal Affairs Ministry has demonstrated administrative capacity and commitment to oversee this project.To this end, a Project Steering Committee chaired by Legal Affairs Minister Basil Williams has been established to provide oversight and strategic direction for the project.last_img read more

Huskies hosting Fairview Flyers in home opener tonight

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Huskies will be hosting the Fairview Flyers at the North Peace Arena for their home-opener on Friday evening.After tonight’s match, only one of the six teams in the NWJHL will be winless, as both the Huskies and Flyers are going into tonight’s game with records of 0-2.The Huskies lost their season opener to the North Peace Navigators two weeks ago by the score of 5-3 after leading the Navs 3-2 for the first two periods of the game.- Advertisement -Last Friday, the Pups were held off the scoresheet in a 6-0 loss to the Sexsmith Vipers.The Flyers meanwhile lost both their games against the Dawson Creek Junior Canucks and Grande Prairie County JDA Kings.The puck drops at the North Peace Arena tonight at 8:00 p.m.Advertisementlast_img

Official: Sorry for promoting Japanese cars

first_img“I deeply regret that our newsletter offended anyone, especially those Americans working in the automobile industry and the millions of people who make American automobile manufacturers successful,” said Joe Ellis, the Health and Human Services Department’s assistant secretary for administration and management. Some domestic automakers and Michigan’s 15 House members have complained about an Aug. 17 e-mail sent by the agency to its 67,000 employees asking them to consider a list of a dozen green cars – none built by Detroit-based companies. Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., said the apology was accepted. “I think they got the message at HHS. They clearly admitted they were wrong,” he said. The list from the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy did not include any vehicles from General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. or Chrysler LLC. All the cars were made by Japanese or South Korean automakers. Ellis said in a statement that the “newsletter highlighted vehicles not made by American manufacturers, thereby giving the impression that HHS was encouraging employees to buy foreign makes of cars.” “Nothing could be further from our intent.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! E-MAIL: U.S. makers weren’t on list sent to government workers. By Ken Thomas THE ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON – A Bush administration official apologized Thursday for a newsletter sent to thousands of government employees that encouraged them to consider fuel-efficient vehicles built by Japanese automakers. last_img read more

GAA: TERMON GAA CLUB NOTES

first_imgTermon GAA Notes: Week Ending 27/02/12Minor Board:Under 6, 8 & 10 Training will resume this Saturday mornings at the Kilmacrennan National School from 11am until 12.15. The club would like to encourage new children to come along and try the training for the first number of weeks. It is a great way for your child to have fun and get exercise!! Minor Board Registration will take place in An Craoibhin on Friday the 16th March from 6pm until 9.30pm. For any queries please contact Eddie Harkin on 086 608 2512.Lotto:The Lotto draw took place in McClaffertys, Churchill on Friday last. The winning numbers were 12, 13, 24 and 27 . There was no Jackpot or match 3 number winners.  Noreen Quinn, Hugh Gallagher and Claire McDermott won €10 each. Next weeks draw takes place in the Glenveagh Inn. Sara Harkin and Martina Kelly are the coordinators. The jackpot now is €1850.The lotto rota at bingo for the coming weeks are2nd March; Joe McDaid & Sara Harkin Senior:The seniors play Glenswilly this weekend in the Junior Gaeltacht, time and venue to be confirmed.Club Social:The Club social will be taking place on the 10th of March in the Lagoon. Tickets are €12.50 and available from any member of the executive.Other: The next monthly meeting will take place on Wednesday, March the 7th at 8.30pm. All members are encouraged to attend.MembershipAnnual Membership is now due for renewal. All players, managers and coaches must have membership to be involved with the club. Adult membership with lotto is €80 for adults and €60 for students. Anyone wishing to purchase a Club Donegal ticket which permits access to all mens  club games in the county free of charge can do so for €200 including your club membership. Contact Essie McGrenra for more details on 086 154 2045.GAA: TERMON GAA CLUB NOTES was last modified: February 28th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GAA: TERMON GAA CLUB NOTESlast_img read more

ENTERTAINMENT: LIVE MUSIC TONIGHT WITH I-NOVA IN SISTER SARA’S

first_imgENTERTAINMENT: There will be LIVE music tonight with the superb I-NOVA at Sister Sara’s Student Wednesday’s. There will also be a FREE BBQ for students from LYIT from 9pm to 10.30pm – and there will also be some superb promotional offers available for students.It promises to be a sensational night of entertainment at Letterkenny’s No.1 super-pub Sister Sara’s.Management at the popular venue have also provided a superb line-up of entertainment at the weekend.It’s the No.1 venue for Hen and STAG parties so make sure and drop in over the weekend to kick-start your party weekend! PS: There will also be a Night at the Races on Friday night in Sister Sara’s. ENTERTAINMENT: LIVE MUSIC TONIGHT WITH I-NOVA IN SISTER SARA’S was last modified: October 14th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EntertianmentFeatureslast_img read more

Nigerian student builds solar car from scrap

first_imgThe thing with solar-powered cars is that you can only drive them during the day. It’s a problem solved by Nigerian student Segun Oyeyiola, who added a wind turbine to his Beetle. Now he can drive all night, too. Segun Oyeyiola shows off his solar- and wind-powered Beetle (Image: OAU Peeps) • Makoko Floating School: a model of Nigerian cutting edge design• Africa refocused: images of Ghana • Khi Solar One: renewable energy for the ages • One million solar lamps light up Africa• D’Sa lauded for fight for environmental justice Compiled by Melissa Javan It cost a Nigerian man more than R70 000 to fight his personal battle against global warming and renovate his Volkswagen Beetle, but now he no longer has to fill his tank with expensive and polluting petrol: his car runs entirely on solar and wind energy.One of Segun Oyeyiola’s challenges was overcoming people’s scepticism. Many told him he was wasting his time. But he took no notice and soldiered on, determined to build a vehicle that could run without fuel.A senior engineering student in the Electronic and Electrical Department of Obafemi Awolowo University, installed a giant solar panel on top of his Beetle; he also inserted a wind turbine under the bonnet.Business magazine’s fastcoexist reports that Dr John Preston, chair of McMaster University’s engineering physics department in Canada and faculty adviser to the school’s solar car team, said he had never seen anything like Oyeyiola’s machine.The vehicle comes with a GPS app that monitors the car’s health. “If you could find a way to use both wind and solar in the same vehicle, that would be a marvellous thing,” Preston said. “Using wind and solar means you wouldn’t have to drive just during daylight hours. If he has figured a way to do it that would be quite remarkable.”Preston explained that the wind turbine allowed air to flow into the grill while the car was moving, subsequently turning the turbine’s rotors and charging the battery at the back of the car. Oyeyiola also built a strong suspension system to carry the weight of the battery.It took him more than a year to retrofit his vehicle, using spare parts he sourced for free from family and friends. In an interview with news agency Africanspotlight Oyeyiola said he didn’t want to build a car that ran on fuel because it was expensive for the common man in his country. The combustion of fuel also added to climate change, he explained.Oyeyiola is concerned about the effect people have on climate. He has tweeted his worries, encouraging people to work together.@mashable the effects of Global warming is everywhere, it will be good if we can all join hands together to fight it — Oyeyiola segun (@trinitysege) November 13, 2014Speaking to fastcoexist, he said he would keep on improving his car until it became Nigeria’s future car.His solar- and wind-powered car was a personal project, he said, because of what he was planning to solve. “I wanted to reduce carbon dioxide emissions going to our atmosphere that leads to climate change or global warming which has become a new reality, with deleterious effect: seasonal cycles are disrupted, as are ecosystems; and agriculture, water needs and supply, and food production are all adversely affected.”Watch solar and wind energy run the car:last_img read more

Army officer, three militants killed in Nagaland encounter

first_imgA Territorial Army officer was killed and three soldiers were injured during operations against a group of militants belonging to the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) and the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-K) in Nagaland on Wednesday.Three militants were killed in the operations and one civilian, an auto driver, was killed in the crossfire.Major David Manlum with the Naga battalion of the Territorial Army (TA) was killed while leading the operations in Lapa Lempong and Oting village near Mon.Major Manlum is from Assam and belongs to a family of Armymen.His father is a retired subedar and his brother is currently serving.Joint operationArmy sources said the joint operation, by 164 TA and 12 Para Special Forces of the Army, was launched following specific information on the militants’ movement on Tuesday night and the encounter began soon after.The casualty occurred when the militants lobbed a grenade, officials said. The three injured soldiers of 12 Para were evacuated to the military hospital in Jorhat and are reportedly stable.Security forces have recovered one AK-6, two AK guns of Chinese make, two grenades, three Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and medicines from the area. Sanitisation operations are still under way.last_img read more