Family of woman who died after being scalded by Premier Inn shower

first_imgA Crown Office spokesman said the incident had been investigated by police, the council and health and safety experts and a decision had been made not to hold a fatal accident inquiry.  I’m still angry at what they didSundar Uthaman Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. The family’s lawyers had argued for a six-figure sum, claiming the hotel, owned by Whitbread PLC, had failed in its duty of care. Speaking from Bangalore, Mr Uthaman told the BBC: “I’m still angry at what they did and the fact it wasn’t until Thompsons Solicitors raised the court proceedings that they issued an apology.” A spokesman for Premier Inn said: “We are very sorry for the tragic accident that occurred to Ms Uthaman in 2012 and our thoughts are with her family.”We take millions of bookings every year and we would like to reassure our guests that this was an isolated incident.”We constantly monitor and regulate the water temperature of our showers in line with industry best practice, which is based on Health and Safety Executive (HSE) regulatory guidance and NHS health care guidelines.” The family of a tourist who died after being scalded by a Premier Inn shower have finally received compensation and an apology from the hotel owners. Kalyani Uthaman, from India, had been holidaying at a branch of the hotel in Edinburgh when she was severely scalded by the shower. The 59-year-old later died in hospital having suffered multiple organ failure. Her son, Sundar Uthaman, said he feels “vindicated” following the settlement, which was made nearly five years after the incident in August 2012. last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *