Tennis News Kyrgios disqualified as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic advance in Italian Open

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Rome: Australian firebrand Nick Kyrgios was disqualified from the Italian Open after an expletive-laden rant on Thursday as defending champion Rafael Nadal swept into the third round along with top seed Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. Kyrgios grabbed the headlines when he suffered a spectacular meltdown on Court Three against Norwegian qualifier Casper Ruud.The controversial 24-year-old, who had marked his presence in Rome by criticising Djokovic and Nadal in an interview on Wednesday, starting arguing with the umpire in the third set.World number 36 Kyrgios had levelled the match at one set all but was given a game penalty early on in the third set for swearing.His response was to kick out at a water bottle before throwing a chair onto the court, packing his bag and then storming off court, shouting I am fuc**** done”Kyrgios was automatically disqualified with Ruud winning 6-3, 6-7 (5/7), 2-1 to advance to the third round against former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro.Kyrgios had already been at the centre of controversy during Wednesday’s washout when he told the NCR Tennis Podcast that Djokovic had “a sick obsession with wanting to be liked” and that the Serb’s post-match celebration was “cringeworthy”. Nadal was described by the Australian as “super-salty”.Meanwhile, Nadal crushed France’s Jeremy Chardy 6-0, 6-1, with Federer, a four-time runner-up, easing past Portugal’s Joao Sousa 6-4, 6-3, and Djokovic beating Canadian Denis Shapovalov 6-1, 6-3.All three are in action again later in the day to make up time after play was washed out on Wednesday.Nadal meets Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili, with Federer up against Croatian Borna Coric, and Djokovic facing Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber.For 37-year-old Federer, returning to Italy for the first time since 2016, it was like a practice session. “Like any other practice day when you play twice a day, you finish the first session, take a shower, eat something, relax, get ready for the next one,” said the 20-time Grand Slam winner.”I think it gives me some good information. I believe it’s going to be similar conditions in the match this afternoon,” he added.Nadal said it was a “good start” as he targets a first title on clay this season before he starts the defence of his French Open crown from May 26.”That’s important for what’s coming up,” said the eight-time Rome winner.World number four Dominic Thiem slammed tournament organisers after he was dumped out 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 by Spain’s Fernando Verdasco.Austrian Thiem complained competitors were left hanging around during the rain-impacted day 24 hours earlier.”I really dislike how we players get treated at this tournament because yesterday was, in my opinion, not acceptable,” said last year’s French Open runner-up.”I’m quite pissed about it. I was tired, exhausted, today because of all these shitty things,” he added.Japan’s Kei Nishikori, the sixth seed, got past American Taylor Fritz 6-2, 6-4 and next meets Jan-Lennard Struff.In the women’s competition, world number one Naomi Osaka fought back after losing her serve early to ease past Dominika Cibulkova 6-3, 6-3 against the 33rd-ranked Slovak who she also beat last week in Madrid.The Japanese star hit 44 winners and 12 aces, despite 25 unforced errors.Osaka, the US Open and Australian Open champion, reached the third round in Rome for the first time in three appearances.She was at risk of losing her world number one ranking to Simona Halep but the Romanian was knocked out by Czech teenager Marketa Vondrousova losing 2-6, 7-5, 6-3 having needed to win the tournament to regain top spot she last held in mid-January.Halep’s defeat also guarantees Osaka’s top seed at the French Open.Next up for the Japanese player on the clay of the Foro Italico is Romania’s Mihaela Buzarnescu.Czech second seed Petra Kvitova eased past Yulia Putintseva of Kazakhstan 6-0, 6-1. last_img read more

Community and emergency services praised after missing man’s body found

first_imgA community spent a week searching for a reclusive man after a bike was found on the outskirts of a Co Donegal village.An inquest into the death of James ‘Philemy’ Boyle heard how dozens of locals as well as Donegal Mountain Rescue, Gardai and the Coastguard combed several miles looking for the 73-year-old. Philemy, who was originally from Scotland, had made his home to Oughterlin in Rathmullan many years ago and was well-known in the community.He was last seen pushing his bicycle on the night of November 7th, 2016.However, it was not until November 20th that a local woman reported an abandoned bicycle which had been at a wall for the previous two weeks.Garda Enda Jennings made several enquiries but could not find the owner of the bike.However, it was not until landowner Samuel Dill reported his neighbour Mr Boyle missing that Gardai made the connection.A huge search was launched in a bid to find Mr Boyle.Local man David Borland told the inquest that he had chatted with Philemy around 7pm on November 7th, 2016.The pair chatted about football and Mr Boyle called Mr Borlan ‘Liverpool’ because he supported the football team.As he pushed his bike up the road, Philemy said to Mr Boyle “I’m not done yet Liverpool.”Another witness, Michael Friel said he came across a man walking on the road between 9pm and 10pm and noticed that the backside of his coat was wet.He noticed the man was Philemy and he asked him if he needed a lift but he replied he was wet and was not getting into the car.On December 10th local man Daniel Canning went out to take part in the search.Mr Canning said he used to shoot in the area and decided to search in some forestry.At about 11.45am he came across a body in a hallowed area in the forest which turned out to be that of the missing man.He blessed himself, said some prayers and then asked for local Garda Enda Jennings whom he had known.The body was lying face-up, was fully-clothed apart from footwear and there was congealed blood in the man’s ear.When questioned by coroner Dr Denis McCauley, Mr Canning said he felt that Mr Boyle had decided to take a diagonal route to his house across fields and forestry from the roadway.The pathologist’s report on Mr Boyle’s remains showed he had a back injury and also had heart disease and had most likely had a heart attack and died in the forest.In line with those findings, he said Mr Boyle died as a result of natural causes.Coroner Dr McCauley paid tribute to the emergency services for all their work and especially to the community of Rathmullan in their efforts to find Mr Boyle.Community and emergency services praised after missing man’s body found was last modified: September 27th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGardaiinquestjames boylemissingRathmullanlast_img read more