Vermaelen completes Barca move

first_img The 28-year-old, who has played 150 times for Arsenal in five seasons, has switched the Emirates Stadium for the Nou Camp after putting pen to paper on the contract that will see him join the Primera Division club. Barcelona said in a statement on their website: “Thomas Vermaelen is now officially an FC Barcelona player. Defender Thomas Vermaelen has completed his move to Barcelona after signing a five-year deal on Sunday. “A few minutes past 11:15am, the player signed a contract with the Catalan club. It is an agreement that binds him with the club for the next five seasons, until 2018/19.” Barcelona agreed a deal with Arsenal to sign the player on Saturday, with both clubs announcing the news. Arsenal confirmed Vermaelen passed his medical in Barcelona earlier that day. The fee is undisclosed for a player who had been club captain for the Barclays Premier League side for the past two seasons but was frequently on the bench last term, with Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny the first-choice pairing at centre-back. He made only 13 starts in all competitions and 21 appearances in total for Arsenal during the campaign, which concluded with him being an unused substitute in the Gunners’ FA Cup final victory over Hull as they collected their first trophy in nine years. Vermaelen was initially an integral part of the London club’s defence after signing from Ajax in 2009, but form and fitness have subsequently put his starting spot in jeopardy. Vermaelen had been linked with Manchester United, but it is understood that Arsenal proposed a swap deal which the Red Devils were not prepared to do. While indicating on Thursday that United were among the clubs to have made an offer for Vermaelen, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger also said he would prefer any sale to be made to an overseas side. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

We are sorry says Ghana Captain

first_imgGhana team captain Emmanuel Clottey was left apologizing to the fans after a second defeat in as many matches at CHAN.Finalists in the inaugural Chan tournament two years ago the The Black Stars have succumbed to South Africa and Zimbabwe.With just Niger to play Ghana now need a miracle of Biblical proportions to see them through to the quarter finals and even that is not entirely in their hands.“We apologise for our bad performance, we did not expect to play like this, we don’t know what happened” said a somber looking Clottey.His coach Hebert Addo next to him at the press conference pin pointed what he called “loss of concentration at crucial time” as one of their downfalls.“We selected the best players from our local league in Ghana and we planned to reach the final but now the odds of that happening are one in a million” Addo talked of the 4-4-2 system which they employed first and seemed to be in ascendancy in the first half but just like against South Africa they faltered in the second half allowing Zimbabwe to pick them apart. Mathematically Ghana is not out of it as yet. Zimbabwe and Niger have three points each and should they lose their last group matches heavily to South Africa and Ghana respectively it will come down to the best goal difference between, Ghana , Niger and Zimbabwe.The Black Stars are also keen to avoid a third defeat, something quite out of character for them. Clottey was adamant that they will make amends against Niger. “We want to correct out mistakes and we have one more chance to do that” he said.Having apologized for the two loses Clottey and team mates are praying for a change of fortunes when they play their last group match as the thought of another loss is to ghastly to contemplate for a power house in African football.Source: ww.cafonline.comlast_img read more

Max Earl Bretches, former Wellington athletic director, 78: Sept. 10, 1935 – Aug. 18, 2014

first_imgMax BretchesMax Earl Bretches, age 78, died Monday morning, August 18, 2014 at Kansas Medical Center in Andover, surrounded by his loving family.Max was born on September 10, 1935 in McPherson to Stanley Bretches and Alice (Anderson) Bretches.Max graduated from McPherson High School in 1953 and from Wichita University in 1957 where he was the football tri-captain.  His picture appeared in the 1957 Sports Illustrated issue. His first teaching position started in Anthony  in 1957.  He taught there for three years and from there went to Emporia State for a year to get his Masters Degree.He started teaching at Wellington in 1961 and served as the Athletic Director at Wellington High School for 32 years.  Highlights of his career at Wellington High School include head track coach and head golf coach.  In 1974 he was on a special KSHSAA Committee to discuss ideas on changing the State High School Football Play-off System from the point system to District Playoffs.  The District Playoffs started the following season.After retiring in 1995 he enjoyed spending time with his family and friends.He was preceded in death by his parents; and two sisters, Alma and Zelma.Survivors include his two children, Craig Bretches and his wife Carna of Wichita, KS and Shari Bretches of Andover, KS; one brother, Galen Bretches of McPherson, KS; three grandchildren, Halie, Tanner, and Morgan; and one great granddaughter, Skylar.A Celebration of Life Service will be held at Frank Funeral Home on Saturday, August 23, 2014 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. with a special tribute to Max at 10:30 a.m.A memorial has been established with the Max Bretches USD 353 Memorial Fund in lieu of flowers.  Contributions can be left at the funeral home.Frank Funeral Home has been entrusted with the arrangements.To leave condolences or sign our guest book, please visit our website at www.frankfuneralhome.net.last_img read more

Cope slams Government’s treatment of seasonal workers

first_imgDeputy Pat the Cope Gallagher has lambasted the Government for what he claims is their complete failure to address the needs and rights of the thousands of seasonal and part time workers.The West Donegal TD said the workers annually find it impossible to obtain social protection entitlements, when their seasonal or part time work ceases.He said an absolute commitment was given by the former Social Protection Minister Leo Varadkar in the budget debate 2017 – that a full review and report would be compiled and completed by February / March. He said “This has been long fingered and buffed over by numerous Government representatives since and absolutely no action has followed on their part.“This report has been reneged by the Government despite the firm commitment given in the Dáil on 22nd November 2016 during a debate on the matter which I addressed personally on the matter.“Numerous Dáil questions on the matter and topical debates highlighting the workers concerns since were raised by me since but to no avail, the Government simply are not listening to the plight of the workers or if they are they are failing completely to take any action.“This entire process of reviewing seasonal workers’ rights has been nothing more than an empty promise given for cynical political purposes by a Minister who simply does not understand the ordinary people’s needs – there is a complete failure by this Government to understand the problems and difficulties facing seasonal and part time workers on a daily basis especially in west and south west Donegal. “It is a further example of how out of touch this Government is with rural matters and the struggle ordinary families have on a daily basis as a result of their policy decisions,” he fumed.Pat the Cope added not alone is the report going to be 8 months late but understands the report will not address the matters which directly affect the part time workers’ rights.He said these matters include the requirement to make 13 new contributions within the last 78 days of your existing claim, the need to maintain 117 contribution over a three year period to mention a few.“It appears that only the subsidiary income threshold which will be addressed and adjusted, this is very disappointing news but it is clear the Government just do not understand the problems and hardships facing seasonal workers.“The lack of knowledge of the ongoing problems and hardships by the various rule changes for seasonal workers is truly shocking; it is increditable that after years of highlighting the issues the Government still simply does not understand the problems which face seasonal and part time workers.“They continue to fail to take any action or to alleviate the problems and what is shocking is that the average annual income for these seasonal and part time workers could be as low as €5,000 to €7,000 on average and that social protection payments would top up their employment income.” He said he is now calling on the Government to wake up to the crises in the livelihoods of seasonal and part time workers and their families, which if not addressed will lead to a skills shortage in certain employment sectors notwithstanding the difficulties it is causing in households right through out Donegal and the west of Ireland.He added “The Government must honour their commitment to the Dáil and complete the review of workers’ rights as requested by me and outlined in great detail during the budget debates in November 2016 – nothing less will be tolerated and the seasonal and part time workers are entitled to their rights. Sufficient time has elapsed in order for the relevant Department and Minister to have dealt with this and provided a solution which would have helped seasonal and part time workers.”Cope slams Government’s treatment of seasonal workers was last modified: August 9th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalGovernmentPat The Cope Gallagherseasonal workerslast_img read more

Why Such a Big Gap

first_imgby, Chris Perna, The Eden Alternative BlogTweetShareShareEmail0 SharesI just saw the results of an interesting survey published in the March print issue of Provider Magazine. The source is the My Innerview Skilled Nursing Employee Engagement Satisfactions Surveys collected in 2012 by National Research Corporation.The question from the survey that is highlighted is “Would you recommend this facility as a place to work?” Interestingly, the CNAs and Nurses surveyed responded that they would recommend their facility less than 65% of the time. In contrast, Administration and Nursing Administration responded that they would recommend their facility about 85% of the time. I think a 20% difference between the responses from CNAs and Nurses versus Administration and Nursing Administration is significant.What does it tell us? Maybe it tells us that the folks with the power and control think things are just great while the folks in the trenches who may be feeling disempowered aren’t so happy? My gut tells me that this is more evidence that many nursing homes still have a long way to go in moving away from the old disempowering hierarchical management model and moving toward an empowering person-directed care approach to improve staff engagement, satisfaction, and well-being. The results we’ve seen from Eden Registered Homes over the years certainly shows the many benefits to be gained by making this transition.So, how big is the gap in your organization? More importantly, what are you doing to close the gap?Related PostsCNA speaks from the Heart! This post comes to us from arkansasculturechange.com, Heather McQuade, CNABeing a successful CNA takes dedication, patience, a willingness to never stop learning, and flexibility. You should always strive to care for residents to the best of your ability and work towards culture change. Culture change means focusing on the … Continue reading →DEATH SPIRAL    When the plane had climbed to 13,500 feet, I checked the wind one final time and nodded to the pilot. Then, with the usual mixture of terror and exhilaration, I slowly pushed off the wing mount and into the stuff of dreams. Within ten seconds my body had…Live Grow Thrive: Green House Model Promotes GrowthPosted without comment (nuff said): AARP Bulletin | January 10, 2011 By Sally Abrahms Jan Cassidy Wood and her siblings knew that if their older brother Jack Cassidy ever needed long-term nursing care, it would fall to them to find it. He was unmarried and lived alone, and since childhood…TweetShareShareEmail0 SharesTags: CNA nurse nursing home The Eden Alternativelast_img read more