English Premier League clubs vote for return to contact training

first_imgPremier League football clubs in England on Wednesday voted unanimously to return to contact training, including tackling.The vote has come as the English top flight moved a step closer to a resumption after the shutdown caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic. A statement, released after a meeting of all 20 clubs, said: “Squads are now able to train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising any unnecessary close contact.“The Premier League’s priority is the health and well-being of all participants.”Failure to resume the season could cost the league around 750 million pounds ($921.75 million) in lost revenue from broadcasters, according to British media estimates.Clubs last week began the first phase of `Project Restart’ after agreeing to a return to training in small groups under strict limitations and no contact.The announcement that Phase Two can commence follows 1,744 tests on players and staff for coronavirus which produced eight positives, including Watford defender Adrian Mariappa and Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale. A third round of testing took place on Monday and Tuesday with the results not yet back.No matches have been played in the English Premier League since March when the coronavirus pandemic shut down world sports.However, Wednesday’s vote is a big step towards the league completing the 92 remaining fixtures.On Thursday Premier League shareholders will discuss the business aspects of `Project Restart’, including a possible broadcast rebate and what to do if the season is curtailed.Some reports said clubs could lose out even if the league restarts, should broadcasters demand a 330 million pounds rebate. Phase Two allows up to 10 players to work together and will ease the time restrictions on training sessions and let players to be closer.The third phase will be a move to a more typical form of training in the build-up to actual games.The league had signaled June 12 as a potential start date, but it now looks likely to be later in the month.Matches would be held without fans in attendance.RelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Reuters/NAN.Tags: Contact trainingCoronavirusCOVID-19Premier Leaguelast_img

Harvey Weinstein Sentenced Today

first_img “He’s not doing well,” Juda Engelmayer told ABC News on Tuesday evening. “He’s looking at the rest of his life and feeling dejected and despondent.”Engelmayer said that numerous friends of Weinstein offered to write letters to the judge attesting to his character, but that every single person insisted on writing an anonymous letter to protect their own reputations.“It shows you that even people who want to support you publicly would be vilified for doing so,” Engelmayer said.Engelmayer declined to comment on a series of previously unpublished internal correspondences released on Monday between Weinstein and his colleagues and defense and public relations teams in the days following bombshell revelations about Weinstein’s past that first surfaced in The New York Times and The New Yorker in the fall of 2017.The documents were unsealed this week at the request of numerous media outlets, including the New York Daily News and The New York Times.“I have lost my family,” Weinstein wrote in one draft statement dated Dec. 21, 2017, according to the New York Daily News. “I have daughters that will not talk to me. I have lost my wife. I have lost the respect of my ex-wife and generally almost all of my friends. I have no company. I’m alone. And I will be honest with you: I’m suicidal.” In addition, Weinstein’s spokesperson Juda Engelmayer says Weinstein is having a hard time being locked up after living a good life. Harvey Weinstein ‘despondent’ as he faces sentencing in New York. https://t.co/QDDxf6QEiY— ABC News (@ABC) March 11, 2020 The day has come. Queues around the block for Weinstein’s sentencing. pic.twitter.com/vgE6scOVfu— Molly Crane-Newman (@molcranenewman) March 11, 2020center_img (New York, NY) — Harvey Weinstein will be sentenced today after being found guilty of first-degree criminal sexual act and third-degree rape.The disgraced movie mogul is facing nearly three decades behind bars, while his attorneys have requested a five-year prison sentence, citing his age, medical issues, charitable giving and lack of criminal history. Watch live here:last_img read more

Tiger Woods will find PGA Tour return ‘a little weird,’ says Rory McIlroy

first_imgTiger Woods is likely to find returning to the PGA Tour and playing behind closed doors “a little weird,” according to world No. 1 player Rory McIlroy.Woods will play at the Memorial Tournament this week, his first appearance since the Genesis Invitational in February, which was before the coronavirus pandemic took hold. “There’s a lot to be focused on this week. Memorial Tournament is one of the biggest events we play all year, and looking forward it is definitely the start of a big run [of tournaments].”I’m excited. It was nice to take a couple weeks off. I had planned to play the Workday [Open], but I just needed to do a little bit of work on my game, so I got my coach, Michael Bannon, over last week.”It was the first time I’d seen him since the start of February, so it was nice to spend some time with him, get some good work done and feel a bit better about my game and my swing looking ahead to the next couple of months.” He will start the event in a star-studded feature group alongside Brooks Koepka and McIlroy, who feels the 15-time major champion may need some time to adapt to playing without spectators present.MEMORIAL: Tee times | Leaderboard”The first three weeks that I played, Colonial, Hilton Head, Travelers, looking back on them, they were really good just to see and get a feel for what it was going to be like,” McIlroy said of no fans being in the gallery.”Now someone like Tiger has not experienced that yet, and maybe he is going to find it a little weird going out there [on Thursday] and not having anyone, especially with the amount of crowds that he has to deal with all the time when he plays. “I felt the first three weeks my mind was wandering a little bit. Sort of easy to lose focus, easy to lose concentration. I think some of the mistakes I was making were because of that.”I’ve realized personally that it’s very hard for me to keep focus out here. I feel like when there’s fans and there’s that energy and the atmosphere, it’s easy to get into that mindset that you need to get into. That [having fans] is what we’re used to, that’s what we do.”It was just a good look at what we we’re all going to expect going forward, and as I just alluded to there about losing concentration and losing focus, you just have to work really hard to keep your mind on the task at hand.”[Try] not let your mind wander because there’s so many opportunities for it to wander because we’re in big, open spaces and you’re looking around – you don’t have that sort of tunnel of people to keep your focus.”pic.twitter.com/LBKJWu40x8— TravelersChamp (@TravelersChamp) June 28, 2020McIlroy finished in ties for 32nd and 41st at the Charles Schwab Challenge and RBC Heritage, respectively, before improving to claim a share of 11th at the Travelers Championship.Having taken two weeks off and put in work with his coach Michael Bannon, the Northern Irishman feels more optimistic about his game coming into a tournament where he has claimed two top 10s in the last thee years.”Look, this is a huge event,” he said. “I saw a stat that this field is stronger than the last eight Masters tournaments in terms of strength of field, so there’s a lot of obviously World Ranking points.last_img read more