English Premier League clubs vote for return to contact training

first_imgPremier League football clubs in England on Wednesday voted unanimously to return to contact training, including tackling.The vote has come as the English top flight moved a step closer to a resumption after the shutdown caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic. A statement, released after a meeting of all 20 clubs, said: “Squads are now able to train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising any unnecessary close contact.“The Premier League’s priority is the health and well-being of all participants.”Failure to resume the season could cost the league around 750 million pounds ($921.75 million) in lost revenue from broadcasters, according to British media estimates.Clubs last week began the first phase of `Project Restart’ after agreeing to a return to training in small groups under strict limitations and no contact.The announcement that Phase Two can commence follows 1,744 tests on players and staff for coronavirus which produced eight positives, including Watford defender Adrian Mariappa and Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale. A third round of testing took place on Monday and Tuesday with the results not yet back.No matches have been played in the English Premier League since March when the coronavirus pandemic shut down world sports.However, Wednesday’s vote is a big step towards the league completing the 92 remaining fixtures.On Thursday Premier League shareholders will discuss the business aspects of `Project Restart’, including a possible broadcast rebate and what to do if the season is curtailed.Some reports said clubs could lose out even if the league restarts, should broadcasters demand a 330 million pounds rebate. Phase Two allows up to 10 players to work together and will ease the time restrictions on training sessions and let players to be closer.The third phase will be a move to a more typical form of training in the build-up to actual games.The league had signaled June 12 as a potential start date, but it now looks likely to be later in the month.Matches would be held without fans in attendance.RelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians Reuters/NAN.Tags: Contact trainingCoronavirusCOVID-19Premier Leaguelast_img

Aim is to make it to the Quarterfinals in the World Championships

first_imgThe U-17 national basketball team of BiH started preparing for the upcoming World Championships in Spain. On this occasion, a press conference was organized in Sarajevo where the officials of the Basketball Federation of BiH, coach Josip Pandža and players addressed the media.Coach of the national team Josip Pandža is satisfied with the start of preparations.“We started on Monday. Boys are constantly making progress, but the injuries of Čampara and Čerkezović corrupt our plans. Čampara has foot issues and Čerkezović suffers from a knee injury. Other players are investing maximum efforts and making progress every day. Regarding Spain, the most important for us is to make it to the quarterfinals, and anything can happen in the knock out stage. The players are very firm and courage and we can mark this championship as well. We have some serious matches in the preparation period, something I am especially looking forward to. Egypt and Turkey are coming to Kakanj on May 24 and 26, then we go to Travnik to an international tournament, and Spain is coming to Sarajevo on June 11 and 12,” Pandža said.Dženan Musa, the best player in the national team, hopes that the people in BiH will be proud of the golden boys again.“We tell everything we have to tell on the court and there is nothing to add, after everything that the coach said. We will try to represent BiH at the World Championships in the best possible light,” Musa said.Apart from presenting players at the press conference, the Basketball Federation of BiH also signed a sponsorship contract with the company Securitas Ltd., thus ensuring conditions for good preparations and performance in Spain.(Source: klix.ba)last_img read more

Akim Aliu reveals Colorado Eagles staffer dressed in blackface, his jersey in 2011

first_imgAliu, a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2007, played in 10 games with the Eagles. He told the WSJ he asked for a trade a few weeks after the incident because of stress that required hospitalization. The Jets traded him to the Flames on Jan. 29, 2012, for John Negrin. Aliu played in seven games over two seasons with Calgary, netting two goals and three points.Last week, Aliu met with Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly and reportedly informed them of what transpired. After Bettman released his plan Monday, Aliu responded on Twitter.”I am encouraged the commissioner embraced many of the changes we proposed at the meeting,” he wrote. “Now the hard work begins of focusing on specifics and implementing policy that will make this sport more diverse, safer, and accountable. We have to ensure that future generations of hockey players do not face the barriers and racism that I have throughout my career. Together we can do something truly great and transformative for hockey.” “Guys just started laughing,” Aliu told the WSJ, adding that his teammates made him pose with Deynzer, who is the only one smiling in the picture. “All I can do is tell my story.””I didn’t even grasp the idea of how vicious of a thing that is to do,” Aliu added.MORE: NHL’s new policies, changes following recent abuse allegationsDeynzer still works for the Eagles. ESPN reported that the club has placed him on administrative leave. The Eagles also issued an apology to Aliu on Twitter:”As an organization, the discovery of this event deeply saddens us. Although we had no prior knowledge, that doesn’t excuse or diminish the fact that this has hurt a fellow human being. Rest assured, our organization holds no ego too big or stature so proud that we are above apologies for any wrongdoings. As a family-oriented organization, we wholeheartedly seek your forgiveness and sincerely apologize. We are truly very sorry, and we will also assure you that this behavior is not and never will be acceptable in our organization.”The Eagles were an affiliate of the Winnipeg Jets at the time and now are the Colorado Avalanche’s AHL affiliate. Less than 48 hours after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman released a plan for how the league and its clubs will handle abusive conduct moving forward, The Wall Street Journal published a story Wednesday shedding light on a racist incident in 2011.Akim Aliu, who wrote on Twitter in November about racist comments by then-Rockford Ice Hogs coach Bill Peters that eventually led to Peters’ resignation in late November as coach of the Calgary Flames, told the Journal of an episode that occurred when he was a member of the ECHL’s Colorado Eagles. Aliu, who was born in Nigeria, was invited to the team’s Halloween party, where head equipment manager Tony Deynzer was wearing an Afro-style wig, blackface and a custom jersey sporting Aliu’s number and nickname, “Dreamer.”last_img read more