Study: European Coal-Fired Closures Would Save Billions

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享WFPL:European power companies could save billions of dollars by stepping up closure of coal-fired power plants as nearly all of them will be loss-making in Europe by 2030, think-tank Carbon Tracker Initiative says.Coal power should be phased out in the European Union by 2030 to meet the Paris Agreement’s target to limit the rise in global average temperature to below 2 degrees Celsius.However, the bloc is still reliant on coal-fired power and only 27 per cent of coal-fired power plants in the EU plan to close before 2030, Carbon Tracker said in a report released on Friday, basing its estimate on company reports and countries’ phase-out policies.Fifty four per cent of European coal-fired power plants are currently cashflow negative and this could increase to 97 per cent by 2030 due to rising carbon prices and stricter air quality rules, Carbon Tracker said, based on modelling from commodity price forecasts, asset operating costs, gross profitability and government policies.Germany-based units could save 9 billion euros by phasing out coal, while Poland could save 3 billion euros.The utilities who have the most to gain from phasing-out coal are Germany’s RWE and Uniper, who could save 3 billion euros and 1.7 billion euros, respectively, according to Carbon Tracker.Coal-fired power currently makes up 26 per cent of total EU power generation.Analysis by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis earlier this year said more than 100 separate power plants – representing a third of Europe’s large-scale coal-fired power plant capacity – face costly air quality upgrades or closure as a result of the pollutant limits.More: Nearly all European coal-fired power plants will be loss-making by 2030: research Study: European Coal-Fired Closures Would Save Billionslast_img read more

‘Supplementary Pay Teachers’ Return to Class

first_imgJosiah Kollie, ‘Supplementary Pay Teachers’ spokesmanFollowing weeks of strike in demand of their names to be placed on government regular payroll, teachers assigned to public schools in Bong County under the banner, “Supplementary Pay Teachers” on Thursday, October 18, abandoned their protest action and returned to class.Public schools across the county remained empty for almost two weeks, as over 200 teachers demanded that their names be placed on government’s regular payroll, instead of being paid through the supplementary pay; a non-regular, performance-based payment. Bong County Chief Education Officer, Armah Varfee, informed journalists on Wednesday, October 17, that his office reached an agreement with leaders of the striking teachers following an hour-long meeting to find workable solution to the teachers’ demand.“We need our kids back in school, and also our teachers back in class,” Mr. Varfee said, but did not disclose the contents of the agreement his office reached with the aggrieved teachers.He subsequently assured the irate teachers that his office, in close consultation with authorities at the Ministry of Education, has reached a commitment in addressing their concerns.Although some of the teachers have resumed active teaching work, Mr. Varfee did not say the specific of the resolution.“Our commitment to finding a solution has been consistent, because we stand together for our students, our communities and our country,” Varfee said.He informed the teachers that his office will soon embark on a county tour to identify ghost names that would serve as possible entry for some of the names of the ‘supplementary pay teachers’ to be transferred on government’s regular payroll.Varfee then used the occasion to appeal to education stakeholders to assign at least a vehicle (4-wheel drive) to his office to enhance the operations of the ministry in the county.Spokesman for the aggrieved teachers Josiah Kollie, corroborated Mr. Varfee’s statement to the press that the two parties have agreed “somewhat” that teachers would return to their classrooms. “We are taking this deal in good faith at this point, but the teachers could be called to strike again if progress is not made.”“The benefits of teaching are terrible, and the pay is appalling, because there is no incentive for the teachers stay on job, except that this is our home,” Kollie said.He said the teachers are sensitive to the impact of their action on the County’s more than 55,000 public school students, many of who come from low-income families.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more