Stuff co.nz 11 May 2014A mother whose children were physically and sexually abused by the man Child Youth and Family had entrusted to look after them has demanded her daughter be returned to her custody, saying she has no faith in CYF.Last week Taite Kupa, 57, was convicted in the High Court at Whangarei on 21 charges of sexually and physically abusing children in his care. He and his wife ran a CYF house in Whangarei. He raped, sodomised and sexually assaulted two young girls, both under 15 years old.He would kick and pinch the children, and would withhold food from children who misbehaved, making them eat grass sandwiches or serving plates of stones.Jane*, the mother of a young boy and girl who were assaulted while in Kupa’s care, has spoken of her despair at seeing her children put into an abusive home. The children were originally taken from her, at the ages of 5 and 1, because her partner was beating her.In January 2013 the children were allowed to visit their mother for the first time since 2010 for the unveiling of their grandfather’s headstone. It was then that the children told Jane of the physical abuse in the house. She went straight to the police.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/10032196/Mothers-despair-over-CYF-action-on-abuse
About 40 Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office deputies are being quarantined after their possible exposure to the novel coronavirus, spokeswoman Teri Barbera told WPTV NewsChannel 5 on Friday morning.The deputies are in self-quarantine at their homes after coming into contact with someone who had symptoms of the coronavirus, Barbera said.No other information was immediately available.Three deputies have already tested positive for COVID-19.Barbera previously said two of the deputies were in quarantine at their homes, while a third was in a hospital in critical condition.She said one deputy worked at the Palm Beach County Main Detention Center on Gun Club Road near West Palm Beach, and another worked about 40 miles away at the west county jail.
Leading accommodation provider Oaks Hotels & Resorts, a division of Minor Hotel Group (MHG), is set to make its Northern Territory debut, today announcing the acquisition of Elan Soho Suites, its first property in the territory’s capital city of Darwin, in a deal worth AUD$57.1 million.Rebranding as Oaks Elan Darwin, the 301-room hotel, which was completed in 2014, will officially launch on 1 September 2015, marking the 52nd property in operation for Oaks Hotels & Resorts.The opening will also see the company make its first foray into a sixth Australian state and territory as it expands its Australian presence, joining properties in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and South and Western Australia in addition to its overseas properties in the UAE, Thailand and New Zealand.Chief Executive Officer of Minor Hotel Group, Mr. Dillip Rajakarier, said the acquisition of Elan Soho Suites comes as MHG continues to make strategic investments in Australia, “As part of our business expansion strategy both in Australia and abroad, we have been focused on accumulating quality assets in a number of regional locations alongside extending our portfolio of management properties in both city and resort destinations.“Darwin has always been on our wish list and we are thrilled that Minor Hotel Group will now be represented in the Northern Territory.”Since acquiring the Oaks brand in 2011, MHG has continued to grow the brand with major acquisitions including Oaks Oasis on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast in 2011, Cypress Lakes Resort by Oaks and its onsite Golf & Country Club in New South Wales’ Hunter Valley in 2013, and the new-build Oaks Grand Gladstone and neighboring Grand Hotel, which opened in early 2014.“The decision to purchase Elan Soho Suites in Darwin is a natural progression for the Oaks Hotels & Resorts brand as we continue to expand our foothold in key Australian markets,” Mr. Rajakarier said.“We also saw a major long-term growth opportunity with Darwin’s domestic leisure market, which grew more than 10 per cent over the past year.“As a gateway to South East Asia, Darwin is also an increasingly popular destination with international visitors, so we welcome the opportunity to target these inbound overseas markets, underpinned by Minor Hotel Group’s strong international brand presence.”Located on Woods Street in the CBD, the 4.5 star Oaks Elan Darwin will rise over 27 floors and offer the choice of 301 hotel rooms, studios and one and two bedroom self-contained apartments.The acquisition also includes onsite restaurant, Seoul Food, a unique dining experience with fusion Korean cuisine, which will be open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.Oaks Elan Darwin is located just 17 minutes from the Darwin International Airport and is within close proximity to a number of local attractions and the city’s dining, entertainment and shopping hub. Stay at an Oaks hotelSource = Oaks Hotels & Resorts