Oilers for Zone 3 Qualifiers

first_imgAmid the leadership crisis in the Liberia Basketball Association which has denied over 1,000 youths to play the country’s second popular sports since the resumption of sporting activities after the ‘end-of-transmission’ of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease, basketball giant, LPRC Oilers is in intensive training to ably represent the country in the FIBA-Afrique’s Zone 3 qualifiers.The Zone 3 Qualifiers is scheduled from Saturday, November 7 to Sunday, November 15, in Ivory Coast.LPRC Oilers team has begun training – Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 4:30pm.According to Deputy Head Coach T. Ignatius Moore, the 13 member playing team includes Ben Dixon (Guard), Jethro Bing (Small Forward), Reuben Marshall (Guard), Mouta Toure (Power Forward), Alex Nagbo (Guard), and George Pennoh (Power Forward).Others are Keith Wluh (Power Forward), Samuel Davidson (Guard), Clarence Davies (Guard), Choko Lee (Guard), Mohammed Kromah (Small Forward), John Bing (Power Forward) and Samuel Kpanie (Guard).The head coach of LPRC Oilers is Paul Houlsen.The vice president of the LPRC Oilers basketball team, Edward J. Harris, who is popularly called “Eddie” said the intensive practice is aimed to set another history again as it may be recalled that in 2013, LPRC Oilers became the first Liberian basketball team to play in the FIBA Africa Club Championship finals in Sousse, Tunisia. ArcelorMittal Liberia sponsored the trip, owing to the historical significance of the team’s accomplishment for basketball in Liberia and the lasting impact on the LPRC Oilers Basketball Team and Liberian youth.This is the first time, since the establishment of basketball in the country in the 1960s, for a Liberian basketball team to qualify for FIBA Africa Club Championship finals.Nigeria’s Kano Pillars also represented the Zone – along with LPRC Oilers for the first time in decades.Eddie told the Daily Observer over the weekend that the team would need about U$50,000 for the over five days trip which would bring together over 14 teams from over seven countries.National basketball champions, Mighty Barrolle will join LPRC Oilers in the Zone 3 qualifiers and might also clash for the top two seats.Barrolle is also in practice for the regional basketball party, and had earlier launched a basketball tourney to raise funds for the trip, but was cancelled owing to technical reasons.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR SATURDAY, JUNE 9TH, 2012.

first_imgDOUGLASThe death has taken place of Richard Douglas, Carthage Mountain, Kilkeeney, Malin.Funeral from there tomorrow morning (SUN) at 9.45am going to St Patrick’s Church, Aughaclay, Malin for Funeral Mass at 10.30am with Interment afterwards in the adjoining Cemetery.  GRIERThe death has taken place at his residence of Patterson Grier, Ballinaman, Killygordon.His funeral will be from his residence on Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock for service at 3.30pm in Donoughmore Presbyterian Church, followed by burial in the family plot. The house is strictly private please. PATTERSONThe death has taken place at St Joseph’s Hospital, Stranorlar of Frank Patterson, Ards, Ramelton.His funeral mass will be held tomorrow morning (SUN) at 11 o’clock in St Mary’s Church, Ramelton, followed by burial in the adjoining cemetery.Family flowers only please, donations in lieu if desired to the Alzheimer’s Association, C/O Sweeney Funeral Directors or any family member. DONEGAL DEATH NOTICES FOR SATURDAY, JUNE 9TH, 2012. was last modified: June 9th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Death noticeslast_img read more

50-plus Christian protesters target Wal-Mart message

first_imgSACRAMENTO – Critics of Wal-Mart’s decision to replace “Merry Christmas” with “Happy Holidays” in its seasonal advertising found a lot of support Saturday outside a superstore here. Unfortunately for the 50 or so Christian protesters hoping to turn away customers over the dispute, most shoppers were not willing to interrupt their quest for the best holiday deals. “They have a valid point,” said Steven Van Noy, 39, of Citrus Heights, on his way out the store with a bag in his hands. “Christmas should be included in their ads. I believe in Christ, and I don’t like the use of ‘X-mas’ or the use of ‘Happy Holidays.”‘ But Van Noy shrugged when asked about his packages. “The bottom line is that they had what I needed at Wal-Mart, so I went to Wal-Mart to buy it,” he said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake The controversy over the secularization of the Christmas holidays has been going on for years, but a confluence of events seems to have ignited a national rage this year. The American Family Association and the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights are taking on retailers like Wal-Mart who have decided to tune down the religious aspects of the holiday in store decorations and promotional material. In an online petition conducted in recent weeks, the AFA gathered more than 500,000 signatures asking Target to include Christmas in its promotions. Stores such as Sears and Wal-Mart are facing boycotts. Wal-Mart spokeswoman Amy Wyatt said the company has made no effort to remove Christmas from its holiday ads. A company promotion that was set to run from mid-November to early January has been misunderstood by many because its slogan was “Home for the holidays.” “It was a matter of choosing a slogan that carries through the entire season,” Wyatt said. “The signs went up before Thanksgiving and won’t be taken down until after New Year’s. The idea was to focus on the family.” Saturday’s protest was organized by religious leaders including Dick Otterstad of the Church of the Divide in Georgetown, east of downtown Sacramento. Donning a Santa Claus costume and surrounded by a handful of supporters, Otterstad greeted shoppers with a single message: Don’t forget about the meaning of Christmas. “It is insulting that Wal-Mart has chosen to ignore the reason for the season,” Otterstad said. “Taking the word Christmas out of the holiday implies there’s something sinful about it. … This is a part of our culture.” Several Russian churches and their immigrant members took part in the Sacramento protest. Inna Sagun, 28, originally from the Ukraine and now living in Sacramento, said Americans should be careful not to lose their holiday traditions. “We know what it was like not to be able to celebrate our religious beliefs,” Sagun said, holding a sign that read ‘Honk for Christmas’ and waving at drivers. “It’s very important to protect it.” Earlee Marshall, 32, of Sacramento, pushed a big load of purchases from the store, but said he supported the protesters. “A lot of people have forgotten the significance of Christmas,” Marshall said. “It used to be about family and friends. But now it’s more about who can give the biggest gifts and who got the best toys.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more