Father shot dead in B.P.

first_imgLos Angeles County sheriff’s detectives do not believe the shooting was gang-related and did not know if Garcia was specifically targeted. Authorities say some witnesses saw a dark-colored sport utility vehicle or pickup truck speeding away from the scene after the shooting. But detectives had no leads Tuesday. “We don’t know what this was about,” said David Coleman, a lieutenant with the sheriff’s homicide bureau. “There were no witnesses. No one heard anything. We have no idea whatsoever what occurred.” Family members said Garcia – who had his own apartment – had come over Monday evening to drop off some laundry, visit with his mother and have dinner. “He was here like every day,” said Jessica Garcia, Oscar Garcia’s sister. “After my mom fed him (on Monday), he walked out of the driveway and we heard the gunshots. That was the last we heard of him.” Jessica Garcia ran outside and to aid her brother, but when she got there, he was already dead. Robert Esquivel, who lives across the street from where Oscar Garcia was shot, said he heard the gunfire. “Yeah, I heard the shots, but that is pretty normal around here,” he said. Esquivel, who works graveyard shifts, tried to go back to sleep, but then heard helicopters circling the area. “I came outside and there was the ambulance and the body bag,” Esquivel said. On Tuesday, at the site where Garcia died, a small memorial had been set up with flowers and candles. A crowd of relatives and friends of the man – who recently became a father – gathered at the memorial to remember him. Neighbors described Oscar Garcia as a “good guy,” who was warm, kind and always smiling. Friends say he graduated from Sierra Vista High School last year. “We just can’t believe it,” Jessica Garcia said, adding that her brother was excited about being a new father. He has a 4-month-old son. While some residents described the area as usually quiet and safe, others said that in recent years the neighborhood has been plagued with crime. Esquivel said that since moving into the neighborhood a month ago, he’s heard shots fired at least every other day. “I can’t draw any conclusions about a trend or otherwise,” Coleman said. Oscar Garcia’s death marks the third homicide in Baldwin Park in less than two weeks. On Nov. 14, Pedro “Pepe” Estrada, 40, and his son, Luis Estrada, 14, were shot to death in front of their Downing Avenue home – in a neighborhood just a few miles from where Oscar Garcia died. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2109160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! • Photo Gallery: Shooting in Baldwin Park • Video: Shooting in Baldwin ParkView Larger Map BALDWIN PARK – Authorities are searching for the people who gunned down a 19-year-old father Monday night while he was visiting family, officials said. Oscar Garcia of West Covina was walking to his car from his parents’ home about 8 p.m. in the 13100 block of Waco Street when he was shot in the torso, authorities said. Garcia died at the scene. last_img read more

Community and emergency services praised after missing man’s body found

first_imgA community spent a week searching for a reclusive man after a bike was found on the outskirts of a Co Donegal village.An inquest into the death of James ‘Philemy’ Boyle heard how dozens of locals as well as Donegal Mountain Rescue, Gardai and the Coastguard combed several miles looking for the 73-year-old. Philemy, who was originally from Scotland, had made his home to Oughterlin in Rathmullan many years ago and was well-known in the community.He was last seen pushing his bicycle on the night of November 7th, 2016.However, it was not until November 20th that a local woman reported an abandoned bicycle which had been at a wall for the previous two weeks.Garda Enda Jennings made several enquiries but could not find the owner of the bike.However, it was not until landowner Samuel Dill reported his neighbour Mr Boyle missing that Gardai made the connection.A huge search was launched in a bid to find Mr Boyle.Local man David Borland told the inquest that he had chatted with Philemy around 7pm on November 7th, 2016.The pair chatted about football and Mr Boyle called Mr Borlan ‘Liverpool’ because he supported the football team.As he pushed his bike up the road, Philemy said to Mr Boyle “I’m not done yet Liverpool.”Another witness, Michael Friel said he came across a man walking on the road between 9pm and 10pm and noticed that the backside of his coat was wet.He noticed the man was Philemy and he asked him if he needed a lift but he replied he was wet and was not getting into the car.On December 10th local man Daniel Canning went out to take part in the search.Mr Canning said he used to shoot in the area and decided to search in some forestry.At about 11.45am he came across a body in a hallowed area in the forest which turned out to be that of the missing man.He blessed himself, said some prayers and then asked for local Garda Enda Jennings whom he had known.The body was lying face-up, was fully-clothed apart from footwear and there was congealed blood in the man’s ear.When questioned by coroner Dr Denis McCauley, Mr Canning said he felt that Mr Boyle had decided to take a diagonal route to his house across fields and forestry from the roadway.The pathologist’s report on Mr Boyle’s remains showed he had a back injury and also had heart disease and had most likely had a heart attack and died in the forest.In line with those findings, he said Mr Boyle died as a result of natural causes.Coroner Dr McCauley paid tribute to the emergency services for all their work and especially to the community of Rathmullan in their efforts to find Mr Boyle.Community and emergency services praised after missing man’s body found was last modified: September 27th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGardaiinquestjames boylemissingRathmullanlast_img read more