Iran striker retires from team at 23 after online insults

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown He was sent obscene messages and mocked for his perceived lack of impact.Azmoun said his mother had been recovering from a serious illness, but the insults caused it to flare up again. Between football and his mother, he wrote on Instagram that “I chose my mother.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe Rubin Kazan striker had been built up as Iran’s top goal-scoring threat before the tournament and has scored 23 goals in 36 international appearances.Another forward, the 30-year-old Reza Ghoochannejhad, said that he’s also leaving the Iran team. He was an unused substitute in all three games. Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Reyes names Gilas Final 12 LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees Iran’s Sardar Azmoun reacts during the group B match between Iran and Portugal at the 2018 soccer World Cup at the Mordovia Arena in Saransk, Russia, Monday, June 25, 2018. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin)TEHRAN, Iran — Online bullying has just cost Iran one of its top players.Forward Sardar Azmoun said Thursday that he’s retiring from the national team. The 23-year-old Azmoun was the target of numerous attacks on social media after failing to score in any of Iran’s three group matches at the World Cup.ADVERTISEMENT “My mind, my personality and my pride do not allow me” to wear the Iranian national team shirt again, Ghoochannejhad said in his Instagram statement.Ghoochannejhad didn’t say whether he was reacting to the online abuse or to coach Carlos Queiroz’s decision not to play him at the World Cup.Iran missed out on qualifying for the knockout stages by one point. The team beat Morocco 1-0 on an own goal before losing 1-0 to Spain and drawing 1-1 with Portugal.___ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READlast_img read more