Eight member associations in race to host women’s FIFA World Cup in 2023

first_imgEight member associations in race to host women’s FIFA World Cup in 2023Bidding member associations include Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and South Korea, which is interested in a joint bid together with North Korea.advertisement Reuters LuasanneSeptember 3, 2019UPDATED: September 3, 2019 23:22 IST Reuters PhotoEight member associations will continue their bid to host the expanded women’s World Cup in 2023, soccer’s world governing body FIFA confirmed on Tuesday.FIFA agreed to increase the number of participating teams for the 2023 event from 24 to 32 following this year’s edition in France, and it subsequently reopened the bidding process.Bidding member associations include Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and South Korea, which is interested in a joint bid together with North Korea.Belgium, which registered its interest last month, as well as Bolivia were not on the latest list.”FIFA has dispatched updated bidding and hosting documents to all eight member associations, which will have until Dec. 13 to submit their bid book, the signed hosting agreement and all other hosting and bidding documents,” FIFA said in a statement here”Up until the deadline for bid submissions, any member association wishing to join an existing bid will be permitted to do so provided it also submits a bidding registration to FIFA.”The tournament’s expansion was pledged by FIFA president Gianni Infantino at the end of this year’s World Cup, which was won for a record-extending fourth time by the United States.Interest in the women’s game has arguably never been higher, with broadcast records broken all over the world in the June-July showpiece.Almost 59 million people watched France beat potential 2023 hosts Brazil in the last 16, becoming the most viewed women’s soccer match of all time.FIFA will conduct official inspections for relevant member associations in January and February 2020, and the hosts are expected to be named in May.advertisementFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow Women’s World Cup 2023Follow FIFA women’s World Cup 2023 Nextlast_img read more

Security Council hears briefing on Turkish troop deployment in northern Iraq

“The Secretary-General urges all Member States involved in the fight against ISIL in Iraq to do so in a manner that is consistent with the Charter of the United Nations and which respects the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq,” UN Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman told the Council today after a briefing on the situation.He said that since the closed door briefing to the Security Council on 8 December 2015 by UN Assistant Secretary-General Miroslav Jenea on the Turkish troop deployment in northern Iraq, Baghdad and Ankara have held high-level bilateral discussions on this issue.Mr. Feltman noted that on 10 December 2015, the Prime Minister of Iraq, Haider al-Abadi, met with a senior Turkish delegation, dispatched by the Prime Minister of Turkey, Ahmet Davutoglu. The delegation was headed by the Turkish Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Undersecretary of the National Intelligence Service. Prime Minister al-Abadi stated after the meeting that he had reiterated earlier statements on the matter and said that ‘the only way to resolve the crisis is the full withdrawal of Turkish troops from Iraqi territory.’“The delegation had, according to the Turkish Prime Minister, agreed ‘to re-arrange the military personnel of the Turkish security force,” the UN political chief said. Continuing, he noted that on 10 December, Turkish President Erdogan stated at a news conference that ‘the number of [Turkish] soldiers might increase or decrease depending on the number of Peshmerga being trained.’ And on the following day, 11 December, Prime Minister al-Abadi issued a statement that he had instructed the Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs ‘to submit a formal complaint…on the Turkish incursion’ to the Security Council.Updating the Council on events that took place earlier in the week, Mr. Feltman said that on 14 December, Turkey publicly announced that some of its troops had recently entered Iraq had begun leaving the Bashiqa area as part of a re-arrangement. Further, he said that According to a 16 December statement from the Turkish General Staff, two Iraqis were killed and four Turkish troops were wounded when the training base in Bashiqa, in northern Iraq was targeted by rocket fire from positions under ISIL control.Telling the Council that the Secretary-General expresses the hope that the Governments of Iraq and Turkey will exercise restraint, including in their public statements, and intensify their bilateral discussion, Mr. Feltman also noted that in the current context, the UN Special Representative for Iraq, Jan Kubiš, has been actively engaging the Government of Iraq and Turkish diplomatic representatives to discuss this situation. read more