NA MEMBERS passed a resolution to explore co-opting an under-35-year-old director on to its board at its annual conference last weekend. The motion, to recruit an extra director, aged under 35, was brought by London-based craft baker Christopher Freeman, who said he wanted to send a message to young members that they were the lifeblood of the NA.He said: “We are a small organisation and we need to look to the future very hard.”In the course of the debate, Tony Cavan suggested all directors’ stints on the board should be limited to three years, to create a market for the positions. And Henry Jefferies commented that if it is possible to get a man on the moon, then the NA should be able to get a younger director. It was also suggested by members including Carol Gatto-Hall that younger members must be made more involved in the NA. Currently, they may be intimidated by their parents’ presence at NA meetings and might not feel comfortable next to established figures on the board, delegates suggested. The motion was carried, and the Board will discuss the practicalities of implementing it – such as length of service and how to recruit – at its next meeting in July.However, age discrimination in employment legislation, which comes into effect in October, may complicate the NA’s quest for a young director. The new regulations make it illegal to set age criteria in recruitment, promotion and training, unless it is a “proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim”.
Russian ticket thief Vadim Polyakov was sentenced today for his role as the ringleader of a group of online thieves. Polyakov and his group were found guilty Wednesday on counts of money laundering and possession of stolen property, after they were busted for hacking into 1,000 StubHub accounts. The group would use their victim’s credit card information to purchase tickets to in-demand concerts, Broadway shows, and sporting events, after which they would re-sell the tickets at a much higher mark-up value.After profiting more than $1 Million, the group was taken down last year after StubHub started to notice the irregularities in their system, after which all customers were refunded and the authorities were contacted.As the fight against scalpers heats up, it’s nice to know that justice is out there for the average concertgoer.[Via Pollstar]
BOSTON (AP) — Travelers at airports are describing widespread disruptions during this week’s snowstorm in the northeastern U.S. Keno Walter-White said Tuesday that he got stranded at Newark Liberty International Airport after his flight was canceled and bus and tram services were suspended. The Las Vegas man says he has been snowed in at the New Jersey airport for three days. Coronavirus vaccination sites across the Northeastern U.S. are getting back up and running in the region as the snowstorm fades. It dropped as much as 30 inches in northern New Jersey. Bands of snow continue through parts of the region, but the worst is over.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 67-year-old Merrick man died after being pushed to the ground by a robber in Brooklyn on Wednesday night and now NYPD investigators are searching for the suspect, authorities said.A police spokesman said Jesus Morales was found suffering from head injuries on 18th Street near the corner of 5th Avenue in Park Slope at 7:15 p.m.The victim was taken to Lutheran Medical Center, where he later died.A police spokesman said the robber stole credit cards and a black suitcase-type bag.Police sources tell the Press that Morales worked for a travel agency.Witnesses told police the robber was wearing a black ski mask and all black clothing.No arrests have been made in the investigation, which is continuing.
Two-time world title challenger Luke Campbell was due to compete against Ryan Garcia for the WBC interim lightweight title in America on December 5 Last Updated: 10/11/20 7:40pm – Advertisement – Campbell has not fought since his defeat to Vasiliy Lomachenko in August 2019 for the WBC, WBA and WBO lightweight world titles. Campbell’s promoter Eddie Hearn has confirmed an alternative date will be sought soon and is only anticipating a short delay.Hearn said on Twitter: “Unfortunately @luke11campbell tested positive for Covid 19.“He has completed isolation and resumes training shortly but will not be fit for Dec 5. We are working on a new date with @GoldenBoyBoxing and @DAZNBoxing and only anticipate a very short delay to this great fight.”- Advertisement – Luke Campbell’s fight against Ryan Garcia has been postponed after the British boxer tested positive for coronavirus.Two-time world title challenger Campbell was due to compete against Garcia for the WBC interim lightweight title in America on December 5, but the fight will have to be rescheduled after the Brit’s positive test was confirmed.The 2012 Olympic champion has now recovered and is out of isolation but the two weeks of training that has been lost has hit his preparation for the huge bout, leaving the 33-year-old with no option but to pull out.
To identify the less risky securitisations, EIOPA has developed a set of criteria related to the structure of securitisation, the quality of the underlying assets, the underwriting processes and the transparency for investors.The report also confirms the currently proposed risk charges for a number of investments including private equity, loans to small and medium-sized enterprises and socially responsible investments.The securitisation recalibration proposal is an extension of a previous EIOPA proposal, from 2011.The new approach retains the criteria, modified in relation to duration, rating and seniority.These criteria are complemented by requirements on the structure of the securitisation, the quality of the underlying assets, the underwriting process and the transparency for investors.Securitisations that meet all these criteria – called Type A securitisations – are expected to have a lower risk profile than those that do not (Type B securitisations).Some of the criteria are adapted from the eligibility criteria for securitisations the European Central Bank (ECB) uses in its refinancing operations.However, EIOPA said the more favourable treatment in terms of spread risk charges for qualifying securitisations is only justifiable if there can be a sufficient degree of confidence in their better risk profile.It is therefore suggesting transitional arrangements to mitigate potential negative effects.EIOPA said that, during the course of its research, it was confronted with a lack of comprehensive, reliable and publicly available performance data, especially for infrastructure investments.It said it intends to work on closing these data gaps in co-operation with the relevant parties.Gabriel Bernardino, chairman at EIOPA, said: “Our analysis has shown that those securitisation issues meeting a set of quality criteria have a good track record of performance and, from a supervisory perspective, should meet lower capital requirements.“We are confident the new classification of debt securitisation allows for a better alignment between risk and capital management and, therefore, can support the long-term growth objectives in a prudent way.” The European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA) has published proposals for the treatment of debt securitisations that would introduce different risk charges for securitisations with higher or lower risk profiles.The Technical Report on Standard Formula Design and Calibration for Certain Long-Term Investments was prepared to examine whether, in the light of the current economic situation, the capital requirements for certain long-term investments under Solvency II can be reduced without jeopardising the prudential nature of the regime.EIOPA’s key proposal is to introduce a more granular treatment of securitisations.Instead of the uniform 7% spread risk charge for AAA-rated securitisations that is currently proposed, EIOPA recommends decreasing the charges for less risky issues to 4.3%, while increasing those for riskier ones to 12.5%.
Kerry-Ann and Andrew Hudson are building their dream home at The Orchard.THE Hudson family spent months researching the local property market trying to find the perfect place to build their dream home. They had just welcomed a new addition, Isabella, and been transferred to Townsville in their roles in the Australian Defence Force. Kerry-Ann and husband Andrew set about developing a list of things they were looking for – the most important was proximity to work so they could spend more time with Isabella, and plenty of space to grow as a family. During their search of Townsville’s best residential communities, they came across The Orchard, the newest large-lot development from long-established local developer Elements North Queensland. Kerry-Ann said that as soon as they entered the estate, they knew The Orchard was right for them.“Andrew and I spent a few weekends visiting local developments and during our search we came across The Orchard,” Kerry-Ann said.“There is just one road in to the community meaning it feels safe and secure and the quality of the development is obvious as soon as you enter.“A meticulously manicured entrance that boasts lush green grass and orchard-inspired trees greets you as you enter the development and the large lots have beautiful views out to the Coral Sea.More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020“The community is surrounded by natural bushland and is just minutes to some great schools, shops and the easy connection to the Ring Road means we are at Lavarack in less than 15 minutes.” The Hudsons opted for a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home complete with media room, pool and 6x6m shed on a 1100sq m block with GJ Gardner Homes. “The lot size allowed us to include everything we wanted in our dream home,” Kerry-Ann said. “Andrew does some personal training so we converted the shed into a home gym and I wanted a large pool with plenty of yard for Isabella to run around in.“But probably the major thing we were looking for was a place that wasn’t too far away from our work as we want to spend more time together as a family. “As soon as we visited The Orchard, we knew it was perfect for us. “It ticks all the boxes and their sales team made the process simple and enjoyable, helping us every step along the way.”The Orchard is located off Darling Road in Jensen and is Townsville’s newest large-lot community by leading developer Elements North Queensland, which has been delivering quality estates in Townsville for 30 years. For more information call 4731 1425 or visit theorchardnq.com.au
22 Deighton Road, Dutton Park, will go under the hammer at the end of March.A dilapidated shack — set to make its owners a major windfall in one of our hottest inner-city suburbs — will be sold “sight unseen” in a sort-of lucky dip for buyers. It may well be the worst property in the country right now — given a similar property dubbed “the worst house in Australia” sold down the road from this one for $668,000 in 2015. The dilapidated house in Deighton Rd, Dutton Park, has just hit the market via the Public Trustee of Queensland, who have it listed to go to auction in a month’s time. Agent Paul Doyle listed it as a “dilapidated, circa 1920 home” that still had “VJ interior, high ceilings, ornate timber breezeways and wide pine flooring but the overall condition and foundations have deteriorated”. He warned: “No internal inspections granted (property to be sold sight unseen)”. They are pretty serious about there being no inspections allowed of the property. The city in the distance.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus14 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market14 hours ago“This pre-war home, adorned with charming features, has fallen on hard times but may be a restored to its former glory or investigated for the option to start again and build your modern masterpiece (subject to council approvals).” It may be hard to spot now, but the house has three bedrooms, two kitchens, a meals area, living room, bathroom, separate toilet and spacious enclosed veranda. It’s the 405sq m block zoned character residential by the Brisbane City Council that is considered “valuable” by househunters, located as it is “only 3km to the CBD”. The property is in a million-dollar neighbourhood with the house next door having sold for $1.11m a year ago. The owner of that property had bought it for $270,000 in 2001, according to CoreLogic. Harcourts Homeside Greenslopes agent Sam Peterffy, who sold the neighbouring house, said the deterioration of 22 Deighton Road did not put off buyers at all. “Anyone could see that the home would be upgraded eventually. Noone has lived there for years, I believe the lady passed away some years ago and left it to her nephew.” “My one next door had massive interest through it and it got sold in the first week. Dutton Park is an area where the older people are starting to move out and younger professionals are starting to move in. They just accept that the area is an up and coming one.” The area is very popular with families because of proximity to both Brisbane State High School and the University of Queensland. The listing said it was “a rare inner city opportunity to salvage and transform”.The Public Trustee’s office had to create a new entry for the property in CoreLogic records, which often means the property has only ever had one owner or ownership under one family passed through inheritance. The auction off 22 Deighton Road will be held on site at 1.30pm on Saturday March 30, and the successful bidder must pay a 5 per cent deposit on the day with the balance cleared in 42 days, and settlement unconditional. FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON TWITTER
By Lonnie WheatleyDODGE CITY, Kan. – This Saturday night’s Inaugural Stock Car Spectacular at Dodge City Raceway Park was already shaping up to live up to its moniker.Now it will likely be beyond “Spectacular” with a price put upon the head of Angel Munoz.The Lamar, Colo., racer has been a seemingly unstoppable force in this year’s IMCA Sunoco Stock Car ranks atop the 3/8-mile Dodge City clay oval, racing to victory lane in all three events thus far.Munoz sets his sights on four wins in a row going into Saturday’s Stock Car Spectacular that also includes a full slate of IMCA Modifieds, IMCA SportMods and IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks.The Stock Car Spectacular already had a posted winner’s share of a healthy $750.Now, courtesy of BMI, the ante has been upped even more with the bounty. If anybody can take the win ahead of Munoz, that driver will receive an extra $300 bonus to push the win total to $1,050 provided that Munoz finishes the race.Munoz can cash in as well if he can dodge the bounty hunters. Munoz will pocket an extra $100 if he takes a fourth win in a row from his scheduled starting position in the draw-redraw event.Munoz could cash in even more if he opts to surrender his starting position and start tailback in the 30-lap Stock Car Spectacular main event. If he can rally from the tail to take the win, he’ll collect an extra $500 to push the potential winner’s share to $1,250.Either way, Saturday’s Stock Car Spectacular winner will collect a minimum of $850 with a potential payout of as much as $1,250.Tickets to the Stock Car Spectacular are $15 for adults with children 11 and under admitted free when accompanied by an adult. Racing gets under way at 7:30 p.m.
According to thePort St. Lucie Police Department the group of crooks fled in the U-Haul truck but were eventually caught after a speed chase.Police were able to arrest 7 people, 3 of which were minors. Officials identified the suspects as: Damon Maurice Foster, 24, Jean Oudorff Monfort, 20, Julydod Monfort, 18, and Anthony Tanilus, 18. A 17, 16, and 13-year-old remained unnamed because of their age.Officials say all the suspects are facing charges of grand theft of a firearm, burglary, damaged property/criminal mischief, and resisting an officer without violence.Police are still searching for one more accomplice.If you have any information that can help authorities, call Detective N. Penney at 772-344-4062, or Treasure Coast Crime Stoppers at 1-800-273-TIPS. (Port St. Lucie Police Department/Courtesy) Caught on video!A gang of thieves were captured on surveillance video stealing weapons from a Bass Pro Shops store in Port St. Lucie.Police say a U-Haul box truck was used to smash through the front doors of the shop on Thursday morning at around 12:15 a.m. Then, the robbers took a dozen rifles and two hard rubber training handguns.SURVEILLANCE VIDEO: